[ecrea] Update & Deadline Extended: CFP for Gender and Games Trilogy

Fri Oct 09 05:33:19 GMT 2015

The due date for the submission of abstracts for this trilogy of books
exploring the gendered practices enacted in relation to games and gaming technologies has been extended toOctober 25.

Some aspects of the CFP have been updated to clarify the intended aims
and orientation of the project and potential contributors may also care
to note the expanded configuration of the editorial team for each volume.

We are seeking chapter contributors for a “trilogy” of edited volumes
that collect and curate previously unpublished scholarship looking at
gender, sexuality and games. We envision three volumes that bring together:

  *

    women’s studies and game studies to focus on feminist criticism of
    women's experiences with games, gaming and game cultures

  *

    queer studies and game studies to focus on queer and genderqueer
    experiences with games, gaming and game cultures

  *

    masculinity studies and game studies to focus on men's experiences
    with games, gaming and game cultures.

Acknowledging that gaming acts as a key – and heavily contested -- site
of subject formation in the lives of those who play, we are soliciting
explorations of the gendered practices enacted in relation to games and
gaming technologies. In doing so, we hope to provide a comprehensive
(though by no means exhaustive) account of the increasingly significant
roles gaming plays in the reproduction, and possible subversion, of
contemporary regimes of gender-based power.

We are seeking chapter contributors for a "trilogy" of edited volumes
that collect and curate previously unpublished scholarship looking at
gender and games. We envision three volumes: one each on femininity,
masculinity and genderqueer identities, respectively.

In particular, we are concerned with theoretically-grounded explorations
of the following:

  *

    the  relationships -- identification, idealization, appropriation,
    negotiation, rejection, contestation, etc -- between
    representations/performances of gender in games and their uptake in
    gaming practices and cultures;

  *

    the gendered dynamics and communicative practices of cultures
    coalescing around particular games and gaming pursuits;

  *

    the historical and/or contemporary processes by which gaming
    technologies (platforms, peripherals, software, etc) become
    (dis)associated with particular subject positions;

  *

    gendered patterns of privilege and inequity that characterize
    gaming-related labor, including (but not limited to) game
    production, modding, e-sports, and spectatorship;

  *

    the persistent and limiting dichotomization of gender in
    gaming-related texts, discourses and practices;

  *

    the intersections of gender and other systems of oppression, such as
    race, sexuality, ability, age, and socio-economic status, with
    regards to any of these above facets.

Contributions from all academic disciplines and geographic regions are
invited, and emerging and unaffiliated scholars are encouraged as the
trilogy aims to bring different voices and perspectives into
conversation. However, the audience of the work is academic and
scholarly style and rigor are expected. To that end, all chapters will
undergo peer review and willingness to accept criticism and undertake
revisions is necessary. Also note that we can ensure double blind
peer-review of your chapter if requested, but, we also ask that each
chapter contributor be willing to peer-review one other chapter
submitted to the trilogy to help expedite this.

For consideration, please email an abstract of 250 - 500 words and a
short bio statement of no more than 100 words to the editors at
((gender.games.trilogy /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(gender.games.trilogy /at/ gmail.com)>)
no later than October 15. The abstract should provide a clear summary of
the proposed chapter’s thesis and outline of its structure. Indicate
which volume of the trilogy you are submitting to in the subject line of
your email.

Complete chapter drafts will be due February 1, 2016  and should be no
more than 6000 words (including notes and references) and use the
Chicago Manual of Style author-date sytem
(http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/home.html) for references.

All contributions must be the original work of the author and cannot be
published elsewhere. For co-authored works, all authors must agree to
the submission of the chapter.

Questions and inquiries can be sent to ((gender.games.trilogy /at/ gmail.com)
<mailto:(gender.games.trilogy /at/ gmail.com)>).

Masculinity Studies Volume

Nick Taylor

North Carolina State University

Gerald Voorhees