[ecrea] Media Activism Research Conference CFP

Sun Oct 04 21:30:38 GMT 2015

Call for Proposals

Media Activism Research Conference:

A Gathering for Grassroots and Transformative Media

May  12-15, 2016

Lakehead  University, Orillia, Ontario, Canada

Deadline for proposals Jan 15, 2016

Mark your calendars! The Media Action Research Group (MARG) is
organizing the Media Activism Research Conference (MARC), in Orillia,
Ontario, Canada from May 12 - 15, 2016 and we want to see you there! The
Conference will bring together researchers, activists, students, and
community members interested in strengthening grassroots media through
networking, knowledge sharing, and skill-sharing.

MARC is an opportunity to develop collaborations and networks among
anti-capitalist, feminist, anti-racist, trans, queer and Indigenous
alternative media activists and activist-researchers by  sharing
knowledge, skills and experiences on grassroots and transformative
alternative media. How do media activists intervene against dominant
media voices? How do women, people of colour, queer, trans and
indigenous activists work to resist dominant discourses in media and to
report on and support social movements? How do we practice
anti-oppression politics to challenge power dynamics in some alternative
media spaces? How do we develop capacities, build skills, and share or
access resources in our communities of resistance? How do
researcher-activists challenge dominant modes, methods and theories in
order to engage with community and alternative media activism and
activists in ways that amplify and support their/our work?

The conference will emphasize knowledge co-production, reflection,
collaboration, creativity, and the development of theoretical frameworks
derived from practice and experience. It will explore autonomous,
grassroots media production practices and voices typically excluded from
mainstream media, across a range of genres including: community radio,
zines, video activism, print media, online media, digital media,
documentary film and video, hacktivism, media art, graffiti, podcasts,
silkscreening, banners, blogs, and more. There will also be theme-based
workshops on current activist campaigns allowing for participants to
network, share knowledge and information, and collaborate across
platforms and genres on the same topic.

We will be organizing a pop-up art show on the last night of the
conference, where participants can bring their media and art to showcase
it, and we will also be showing any media work created during the
conference.

We encourage workshops to be participatory and interactive, and we are
open to any and all formats, particularly those that disrupt or
challenge the typical academic conference format. A computer lab is
available for skill-shares requiring online access, and various
technologies may be used--just let us know what you need.

We are inviting proposals for workshops on the following topics, and more:

  *

    Video activism

  *

    Community radio, soundscapes, podcasts

  *

    Print media

  *

    Collective dynamics in media production

  *

    Feminist media, Sexuality and gender

  *

    Anti-racist and anti-colonial media

  *

    Queer and trans media

  *

    Online activism, hacktivism

  *

    Anti-capitalist & Anarchist media and culture

  *

    Protest media, Social movement media

  *

    Culture jamming, Politics of graffiti

  *

    Activist research in media & communication studies

  *

    Media arts and research creation

  *

    Media skill-sharing

  *

    Tar sands & pipeline activism in media

  *

    Missing and murdered Indigenous women in media

  *

    Police brutality and impunity in media

  *

    Sex work activism in media

Proposalsshould be 250-300 words in length, describing the content and
format of your workshop. You should also include a short bio of 50-75
words of each person presenting or facilitating the workshop. The
deadline for proposals is January 15, 2016, and notifications of
acceptance will be sent out mid-February. Please submit proposals to:
(info /at/ mediaactionresearch.org) <mailto:(info /at/ mediaactionresearch.org)>

Our goal is to make the conference an accessible space and to facilitate
the participation of anyone who would like to attend. The university is
accessible to those with mobility needs, and accessible rooms are
available in the residence. Please contact us if you wish to discuss
accessibility needs. Travel subsidies are available to those with
financial need. Food will be provided throughout the conference, and
dietary preferences will be accommodated. Registration fees will be on a
 sliding scale with reduced rates for students, under-employed and
unemployed people, and early-bird rates. Parking passes will be provided
and we encourage carpooling. We are committed to co-creating a zero
waste conference.

Accommodation will be available at a reduced rate at the university
residence, or in local hotels. Camping is available at the nearby Bass
Lake Provincial Park. Some limited billeting in local homes may also be
possible.

Orillia ON is about 125km north of Toronto in the heart of cottage
country. There will be opportunities for outdoor activities such as
canoeing or kayaking, collaborative sports, hiking, etc.

For more information, check out:
mediaactionresearch.org/event/summer-gathering/
<http://mediaactionresearch.org/event/summer-gathering/>

or email us at: (info /at/ mediaactionresearch.org)
<mailto:(info /at/ mediaactionresearch.org)>

Sandra

Dr. Sandra Jeppesen
Associate Professor
Media Studies Program Coordinator