[ecrea] call for questions for our off-year conference - Accessing, Capturing and Interpreting Young People's Voices

Fri Jun 26 14:59:07 GMT 2015

CALL FOR QUESTIONS

Accessing, Capturing and Interpreting Young People's Voices:
a Reflexive Workshop on Creative, Visual and Ethically-Informed Methods and Approaches in a Connected World
3 of September 2015, 09.30-17.00h, Westminster University, London

This workshop will be hosted by the University of Westminster in association with ECREA, and precedes the conference “Comparing Children’s Media around the World: Policies, Texts and Audiences to be held on Westminster University on September 4th.

As researchers studying children, youth and media, we are constantly searching for better ways to access, capture and interpret young people’s voices. This journey requires an open, yet critical, attitude to ‘new’ methods and perspectives, and is often accompanied with practical, ethical and other struggles.

In this one-day workshop, we focus on various challenging methods, such as creative, visual research methods with children, and child-led research. We will also exchange experiences on ethnographic research with children and focus on lessons learned from “failures” in research with young people.

Overview schedule

Thursday 3 September 2015

09.15-09.30	Registration

09.30-09:45	Welcome and Introduction  – Cristina Ponte TWG Vice-Chair

09:45-11.00 Keynote Lecture ‘Hearing youth voices – in and through media research’ by Alicia Blum-Ross; Respondent: Professor Maire Messenger Davies (TBC)

11.00-11.15	Break

11.15-12.15 Roundtable session 1 – “The challenges of doing ethnography with (young) children” (Moderators: Conceição Costa and Lien Mostmans)

12:15-13:00 YECREA young scholars’ special session (Moderator: Philip Sinner)

13:00-14:00	Lunch

14:00-15.00 Roundtable session 2 – “Learning from failure in research with children”? (moderator: Katrien Van Cleemput)

5.00-15.15	Break

15.15-16.30 Keynote Lecture ‘The opportunities and challenges of participative research methods with young people’ by Christine W. Trültzsch-Wijnen

16.30-17.00	Lessons Learned, take-aways – Patricia Núñez

For the roundtables we are inviting YOU, as researchers, to share the methodological issues that you are facing in your research design and/or practicalities of doing research with children and youth. In exchanging stories of what worked well and what did not, what the unsuccessful methods were, or when you decided it was time to re-organize your research design, we can learn from each other. It is equally important to learn how you piloted, which successful turns your research took, and why some methods worked better than others. The roundtable sets out to grow together, under the safe and constructive auspices of the ECREA Children, Youth and Media community.

Please submit your experiences, stories and questions to: (conceicao.costa /at/ ulusofona.pt) no later than 20th July.

If many questions are submitted, the workshop organizers will make a selection. The accepted questions will be known by 15th August on the Comparing Children’s Media around the World: Policies, Texts and Audiences conference website.

For the YECREA call for participants please submit your abstracts of max 250 words to the YECREA representatives of the TWG, Jane Fleischer ((jane.fleischer /at/ th-nuernberg.de) ) and Philip Sinner ((philip.sinner /at/ sbg.ac.at) ), before July 15th, 2015. We will get back to you with information on acceptance of papers and with a preliminary programme on August 1st, 2015.

We look forward to hearing from you!

The registration fee of 25 GBP includes lunch and coffee breaks. Registration and payment will take place via the University of Westminster in tandem with the Comparing Children’s Media around the World: Policies, Texts and Audiences conference.

The Chair of TWG Children, Youth and Media,

Sonia Livingstone