[ecrea] Teaching Media Quarterly call for proposals

Sat Jun 06 12:01:01 GMT 2015

Call for Lesson Plans: Share your media production classroom
activities in Teaching Media Quarterly

“Teaching Media Production” Teaching Media Quarterly 3(3): Fall 2015

Reminder: deadline is June 19 <x-apple-data-detectors://5>!

Universities and colleges provide a unique opportunity for students to
access sophisticated media production infrastructure. While the
explosion of consumer media-making technologies (video-enabled phones,
accessible editing software like iMovie, sharing platforms from
YouTube to Periscope) has dramatically democratized opportunities for
media production, higher education is still a leading site where
non-professionals are exposed to professional level media production
tools. Teaching Media Quarterly wants to know how instructors are
leveraging these resources to help students engage with civic life.
What are some opportunities provided by our institutions’ investments
in media production technology? How can media scholars use the
privilege of our access to professional level equipment to help
students cultivate meaningful modes of intervention in their communities?

We seek lesson plan submissions that explore pedagogical strategies
and opportunities associated with media production. We are looking for
well developed classroom or studio or field activities that ask
students to produce media as a means of thinking through themes of
inequality and social justice. We are especially interested in lesson
plans that are informed by the following questions:

• How can the insights of media studies scholarship shape strategies
for teaching production?

• What are some possibilities for helping students use media
production to advance media literacy? To effect social change?

• What are the possibilities for transforming students’ existing
commitments to media production and social networking into politicized
community engagement? How can students share their media productions
in ways that develop their notion of themselves as citizens and
political actors?

All lesson plan submissions must include: 1) a title, 2) an overview
and comprehensive rationale (using accessible language explain the
purpose of the assignment(s), define key terms, and situate in
relevant literature) (250-500 words), 3) a general timeline, 4) a
detailed lesson plan and assignment instructions, 5) teaching
materials (handouts, rubrics, discussion prompts, viewing guides,
etc.), 6) a full bibliography of readings, links, and/or media
examples, and 7) a short biography (100-150 words).

Teaching Media Quarterly Submission Guidelines

Contact
(toteachingmedia.contact /at/ gmail.com)
<mailto:(teachingmedia.contact /at/ gmail.com)>.