[ecrea] Conference Terms of Media

Thu Jun 04 13:25:26 GMT 2015

The Terms of Media
17.06.2015 19:00 to 19.06.2015 19:00
Conference of the Centre for Digital Cultures, Leuphana University Lüneburg

Initiated by Götz Bachmann, Timon Beyes, and Wendy Chun

Venue: Die Ritterakademie, Am Graalwall 12, 21335 Lüneburg

“Media determine our situation,” Friedrich Kittler infamously wrote in his
introduction to Gramophone, Film, Typewriter. Although this dictum is
certainly extreme – and media archaeology has been critiqued for being
overly dramatic and focused on technolo-gical developments – it propels us
to keep thinking about media as setting the terms for which we live,
socialize, communicate, organize, do scholarship etc. After all, as Kittler
continued in his opening statement almost 30 years ago, our situation, “in
spite or be-cause” of media, “deserves a description.” What, then, are the
terms – the limits, the conditions, the periods, the relations, the phrases
– of media?  And, what is the relati-onship between these terms and
determination?

This project, which entails two international conferences, to take place at
Brown University and at Leuphana University in Lüneburg, Germany, and a
series of publications based on these conferences, seeks to repose and
update this fundamental question of media theory. Does our situation
indicate a new term, understood as temporal shifts of mediatic conditioning,
which deserves a re-description?  How and on what terms are media changing,
reflecting changes in media itself? What are the terms of conditions that we
negotiate as subjects of media? How do the terms of media theory relate to
such conditions? What are the terms of conditions of media theory itself?

Participation is free. Please register here: http://goo.gl/forms/nyHCqSTkPd
Contact: (termsofmedia /at/ inkubator.leuphana.de)

Preliminary schedule (subject to change)

– June 17, 2015

07:00 pm	KEYNOTE
Yes Men

Reception

Launch of meson press

– June 18, 2015
10:00–11:30	FABRICATIONS
Ian Bogost
Fox Harrell
moderated by Mathias Fuchs

11:45–01:15	SUBJECTS
Wendy Chun
Florian Cramer
moderated by Clemens Apprich

2:30–04:00	ATMOSPHERES
Andreas Philippopoulos-Mihalopoulos
Stefan Rieger
moderated by Christiane Heibach

04:15–05:45	FLESH
Inge Baxmann
Mark Hansen
moderated by Erich Hörl

– June 19, 2015

10:00–11:30	PHYSICS
Peter Galison
Christina Vagt
moderated by Paul Feigelfeld

11:45-01:15	MARKETS
Jens Schröter
Philip Mirowski
moderated by Armin Beverungen

2:30-04:00	POLITICS
Hito Steyerl
Melissa Gregg
moderated by Andrew Lison

04:15–05:45	COLOR
Marc Glöde
Carolyn Kane
moderated by Boris Traue

06:00–07:00	SUMMARY ROUNDTABLE
Andreas Broeckmann
Ellen Rooney
Nishant Shah

During the conference:
Multi-Channel Video Installation by Nina Wakeford and Robert Rapoport