[ecrea] Call for Book Chapter Proposals, “Would That They Had Eyes To See”: Essays on HBO’s True Detective

Sun Apr 12 11:19:57 GMT 2015

Call for Book Chapter Proposals, “Would That They Had Eyes To See”: Essays on HBO’s True Detective

In only one short season, True Detective has become as much a cultural phenomenon as a television show. The anthology series has generated much press and critical praise for its acting, writing, directing, thematic content, and more. This project seeks to further develop our understanding of this show, exploring it from diverse perspectives and lenses. The chapters presented in it are intended to explore a wide range of ideas that examine and dissect True Detective. Because isn’t it about time someone started asking the right f***ing questions?

The editors are already focused on exploring the show as Southern Gothic and the idea of “looking, seeing, and the Gaze.” Possible suggestions for other chapters/ideas to explore include:

- Treatment of religion
- Portrayals of masculinity
- Presentations of poverty
- The representation of sex
- Intertextuality and sources
- Depiction of gender
- True Detective and the horrific
- True Detective and noir
- True Detective and pulp
- Analysis of Carcosa

If you would like to propose a chapter for this project, please send a short author(s) bio as well as a 750 word abstract along with title to Matthew Wysocki ((mwysocki /at/ flagler.edu)) or Stephanie Graves ((steph.graves /at/ gmail.com)). We have had a number of publishers express interest in this and are eager to capitalize on this interest. The deadline for receipt of all proposals is May 22, 2015. We will attempt to notify all correspondents before July 1 regarding the status of their submission. Completed draft manuscripts of 6500-7000 words will be due by December 15, 2015.