[ecrea] Call for papers MeCCSA 2016

Thu Mar 19 03:59:17 GMT 2015

MeCCSA 2016 Conference – Call for Papers

6-8 January 2016

Canterbury Christ Church University

Theme: Communities

Deadline for proposals: 8 September 2015

We are pleased to invite you to submit abstracts, panel proposals and posters for the next Annual MeCCSA Conference, to be held 6-8 January 2016 at the School of Media, Art and Design, Canterbury Christ Church University, Canterbury, UK.

The theme of the MeCCSA 2016 is ‘Communities’. We invite papers and panel proposals that address this theme, examining how we might advance thinking on for example: communities in the digital age; communities and the commons; communities and cultures; communities on the margins; local and community media; politics and policies of communities; community engagement and cohesion; inclusion and exclusion in communities; communities and the past; media, cultural and communication practices of different types of communities.

We also welcome scholarly papers, panels, practice contributions, film screenings, and posters across the full range of interests represented by MeCCSA and its networks, including, but not limited to:

·         Film and television studies and practice

·         Radio studies and practice

·         Cultural and media policy

·         Representation, identity, ideology

·         Social movements

·         Women’s Media Studies

·         Disability Studies within media studies

·         Approaches to media pedagogy

·         Children, young people and media

·         Diasporic and ethnic minority media

·         Political communication

·         Methodological approaches

·         MeCCSA subject areas as disciplines

Confirmed plenary speakers

Confirmed speakers that will participate in keynote panels include:

·         Professor Mark Deuze, University of Amsterdam

·         Professor Jeremy Gilbert, University of East London

·         Dr Peter Lewis, London Metropolitan University

·         Professor Robin Mansell, London School of Economics

· Sara Moseley, Distinguished Visiting Fellow and Development Director, Cardiff University

·         Jeremy Seabrook, Author and Journalist

·         Professor Helena Sousa, University of Minho

· Hilary Wainwright, Journalist and Researcher, Transnational Institute

·         Professor Claire Wallace, University of Aberdeen

Submission guidelines

Abstracts of up to 250 words should be submitted by 8 September 2015 through the conference website (http://www.meccsa2016.co.uk/). We also welcome panel proposals and these should include a short description and rationale (200 words) together with abstracts for each of the papers (150-200 words each including details of the contributor), together with the name and contact details of the panel proposer. The panel proposer should co-ordinate the submissions for that panel as a single proposal.

Practice

We actively support the presentation of practice-as-research, in particular when there is insufficient time to present a complete work during parallel sessions. We are therefore providing a dedicated presentation space to display practice artefacts including screenings, computer-based and multi-screen work (where possible). For displaying practice work, please include specific technical data (eg duration, format) and an URL pointing to any support material when submitting your abstract.

Conference contacts:

Website: http://www.meccsa2016.co.uk/

Email address: (meccsa2016 /at/ canterbury.ac.uk)

Twitter: @meccsa2016

We look forward to seeing you in Canterbury!

About MeCCSA

MeCCSA is the subject association for the field of media, communication and cultural studies in UK Higher Education. The field encompasses the study of audiovisual and print media including film and TV; journalism; radio; photography; creative writing; publishing; interactive media and the web. The field also includes higher education for media practice and practice research – film and TV production, journalism practice, and the use of new, digital information technologies in the arts, entertainment, social media and gaming. For further information please see: http://www.meccsa.org.uk/

About Canterbury

Canterbury is an important historical city in the south east of England, one hour by train from London. The conference will be held on the main campus of Canterbury Christ Church University, which is part of the Canterbury UNESCO World Heritage Site. The University has offered degrees in media and related subjects since 1980. The School of Media, Art and Design currently provides undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in media and communication, journalism, film, television, radio, animation, photography, digital media, web design, graphic design and fine and applied art. The School has a strong ethos of theory-practice interchange and an interdisciplinary research culture. The School runs the Centre for Research on Communities and Cultures and is a leading player in the Centre for Practice-Based Research in the Arts.