Archive for November 2015

[ecrea] CITP / MiLab Spring 2016 Doctoral Workshop

Tue Nov 24 23:59:07 GMT 2015

CITP / MiLab Spring 2016 Doctoral Workshop

The Center for Information Technology Policy (CITP) at Princeton
University and the Media Innovation
Lab (MiLab) at the University of Vienna are pleased to announce our
second annual Doctoral Workshop
to be held April 27th to April 29th at the University of Vienna.

The workshop will be led by Nick Feamster, Professor of Computer Science
and Acting Director of CITP at
Princeton University, and Homero Gil de Zúñiga, who holds the
Medienwandel Professorship in the
Department of Communication and leads the MiLab at the University of Vienna.

The goal of the workshop is to provide a forum for leading doctoral
students to present their late-stage
research to experts in the field, receive feedback and advice, and gain
exposure to related work in other
disciplines. We seek to provide a helpful, interactive experience for
students, to highlight the work of
rising stars in this area, and to foster interdisciplinary collaboration.

Participants will be selected through a competitive review process. We
expect to invite about 8 doctoral
students to attend. We will provide support for travel and lodging up to
500 EUR per attendee. Students
are encouraged to submit dissertation relevant work; abstracts and
shorter proposals will not be
accepted.

Research topics should focus on the interplay between information and
communication technologies and
the social, political, civic, and governmental spheres. We welcome
applications from doctoral students
doing relevant work in any discipline, including communication studies,
computer science, economics,
political science, and sociology. Possible topics include, but are not
limited to, the following:

ï‚· Citizen journalism
ï‚· Civic engagement and digital technology
ï‚· E-voting security
ï‚· Internet governance
ï‚· Open government data
ï‚· Privacy technologies for democratic ends
ï‚· Social media and political expression
ï‚· State-sponsored internet freedom programs

Submission process: Please submit your manuscript, along with your CV
and full contact information, to
Laura Cummings-Abdo ((citp /at/ princeton.edu) <mailto:(citp /at/ princeton.edu)>) and
Meike Müller ((meike.mueller /at/ univie.ac.at)
<mailto:(meike.mueller /at/ univie.ac.at)>) no later
than February 7th, 2016.

For more information about our work, please visit our websites: CITP
(citp.princeton.edu <http://citp.princeton.edu/>) and MiLab
(milab.univie.ac.at <http://milab.univie.ac.at/>).