Archive for November 2015

[ecrea] happy 10th anniversary ECREA

Tue Nov 24 09:46:02 GMT 2015

Apologies for sending this to the list (and for the slightly personalised narration) - but it's an important day for ECREA today.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The two General Assemblies, of the two constituent organisations (ECCR and ECA) that established ECREA, took place on 24 November 2005, exactly ten years ago. That evening, the new Executive Board (Andrea Pitasi, Annaleena Ylinen, Annette Hill, François Heinderyckx, John Rosenbaum, Lars Nyre, Nico Carpentier, Nishan Havandjian, Pertti Hurme, and Uwe Hasebrink (in alphabetical order)) met for the very first time.

It's not very well known, but there were four people that did the work, as members of the merging task force: François Heinderyckx (ECCR), Pertti Hurme (ECA), John Rosenbaum (ECA) and myself (ECCR). Especially John hasn't receive much credit for what he did, so this day I will think of him, and the thumbs up picture he sent me, after we reached the agreement, showing a big grin and holding the accepted Memorandum of Intent that settled the merger. Here's to you, John!

I'll also think of the grandfathers and -mothers of ECREA, their many attempts to establish a European communication association, and their support when ECREA was eventually founded.

Another moment comes to my mind, and that's when I attended the IAMCR conference in Taipei (at the end of July 2005), where I was sitting in the hotel lobby, writing that very first draft of the Memorandum of Intent, on my mobile phone. For the record: It was a Nokia 6800.

And from the archive, a picture of the model that we agreed on can be found here: nicocarpentier.net/ECREA_Time.JPG. Just to show that in the very beginning, ECREA's survival wasn't too certain, and we developed a roll-back strategy in case everything went wrong. It didn't.

Happy anniversary, ECREA.

Nico

Ps: for those interested: see http://www.ecrea.eu/about/history
Nico Carpentier
Uppsala University
Department of Informatics and Media
Kyrkogårdsgatan 10
753 13 Uppsala
Sweden
Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) - Free University of Brussels
&
Charles University in Prague
New edited book (open access):
Journalism, representation and the public sphere
Edited by Leif Kramp, Nico Carpentier, Andreas Hepp, Ilija Tomanic Trivundža, Hannu Nieminen, Risto Kunelius, Tobias Olsson, Ebba Sundin and Richard Kilborn
http://www.researchingcommunication.eu/
New special issue (open access):
Publics, Discursive Struggles and Political Agency
Edited by Julie Uldam & Nico Carpentier
in Javnost - The Public (Volume 22, Issue 1, 2015)
http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rjav20/22/1
European Media and Communication Doctoral Summer School
http://www.comsummerschool.org/