Archive for August 2014

[ecrea] new book announcement > Reclaiming Queer: Activist and Academic Rhetorics of Resistance

Tue Aug 12 21:39:02 GMT 2014

I am excited to announce the publication of my new book, Reclaiming Queer: Activist and Academic Rhetorics of Resistance, in the Rhetoric, Culture, and Social Critique Series of the University of Alabama Press.

In this book I consider the rhetorical linkage of academic queer theory with street-level queer activism in the 1980s and early 1990s. I examine the reclamation of the word “queer” by activists and academics, and grapple with the specific conditions for and constraints on rhetorical agency in each context. The individual chapters take up the early texts that inaugurated the field of queer theory, Queer Nation’s infamous “Queers Read This” manifesto, Larry Kramer’s polemic speeches and editorials, the Lesbian Avengers’ humorous and outrageous antics, the history of ACT UP, and the more recent appearance of Gay Shame activism. From these activist and academic discourses, and blending the insights of rhetorical studies, queer theory, and critical/cultural studies, I attempt to build a theory of rhetorical agency that posits queerness as the very condition from which agency emerges.

Reclaiming Queer thus offers a critical look at the rhetoric of queer activism, engages the history of queer theory’s institutionalization and the politics of its proliferation, suggests a radically contextual understanding of rhetorical agency and form, and argues for the centrality of queerness to all rhetorical action.

For more information: http://www.uapress.ua.edu/product/Reclaiming-Queer,5850.aspx

Best,

Erin

Erin J. Rand, Assistant Professor