Archive for July 2014

[ecrea] Teaching Film and Broadcast History in the Digital Age: Call for Workshop Presenters

Thu Jul 24 06:40:37 GMT 2014

Call for Workshop Presentation Proposals: Teaching Film and Broadcast History in the Digital Age
SCMS 2015 (Montreal, March 25-29)
Workshop Chair: Beth Corzo-Duchardt
Deadline for proposals: August 10, 2015

In recent years, digital film and broadcast archives have proliferated. Films from The Colonial Film Collection, EYE, The LOC’s Paper Print Collection, The Prelinger Archives, and many other repositories are now available at the click of a mouse. Sites like The Media History Digital Library provide unprecedented access to trade journals and fan magazines. Meanwhile, scholars and programmers working in the digital humanities are generating multimodal tools for engaging film and broadcast history such as Cinemetrics and Project Arclight. These resources offer exciting new possibilities for teaching media history, but they can also be overwhelming. In proposing this workshop, we seek to bring together teachers of film and broadcast history to share resources, discuss challenges, and brainstorm new approaches to implementing digital resources in our classrooms. We’ll begin with short presentations from workshop panelists detailing concrete examples of successful use of digital repositories and tools in the film and/or broadcast history classroom. Participants will then be encouraged to ask questions and share insights based on their own teaching experiences. The examples presented and ideas generated at the workshop will be gathered and made available online shortly after the conference ends.

We seek proposals for brief presentations detailing successful film or broadcast history assignments, courses, and/or in-class activities using one or more digital archive or tool. Please send a brief bio (under 300 words) and short description (around 500 words) of the teaching example you wish to share to Beth Corzo-Duchardt at (corzo-duchardt /at/ u.northwestern.edu) <mailto:(corzo-duchardt /at/ u.northwestern.edu)> by August 10th, 2014. Selected presenters will be notified by August 15th. Please note, all workshop presenters must be members of SCMS by August 20th, 2014 for our workshop to be considered.

Beth Corzo-Duchardt
(corzo-duchardt /at/ u.northwestern.edu) <mailto:(corzo-duchardt /at/ u.northwestern.edu)>