Archive for June 2014

[ecrea] Call for contributions for the 10th anniversary special issue of the Journal of Children and Media

Thu Jun 19 21:50:17 GMT 2014

Call for contributions for the 10th anniversary special issue of the Journal of Children and Media

The Journal of Children and Media (JOCAM) will commemorate its 10 year anniversary in 2016, with a special issue entitled: JOCAM NEXT. The editors of JOCAM are inviting innovative contributions, both in terms of content as well as format, to discuss the future of the field. We are looking for big-picture commentaries and analyses about the status of Children, Adolescents and Media as a field: what we’ve accomplished in the past decade, and the topical, theoretical, and methodological challenges and controversies we need to address over the next decade. Authors should feel free to address the broad range of issues facing our field, or to focus on the challenges of the next decade with regard to a specific topic, such as digital learning, media violence, participatory culture, immigration, or childhood obesity.

We are not looking for integration of the existing literature, as several recently published handbooks and texts have done an excellent job doing just that. Neither are we looking for empirical studies, as those can continue to be submitted to regular issues of the journal. What we are seeking are original commentaries and analyses which spotlight the challenges and opportunities facing children and media researchers as we look to the future of our field.

Questions include, but are not limited to:

·         What are the challenges to future research in the field?

· What are the main unresolved theoretical and/or methodological controversies?

· What do stakeholders (e.g., policy makers, parents, educators, media industries) need from us?

· What can we learn about our field from other disciplines and what can they learn from us?

·         How should we build bridges with the public and stakeholders?

· What should be the nature of the relationships between research and advocacy?

· How should research manage the local-glocal-global tensions and challenges?

· What did you once believe about media and child development that you no longer believe today? How does this reflect the direction the field can or should be taking?

· Can we be making better use of theory (both established and cutting edge) as we orient our research?

· How has the lived experience of childhood changed over the past 10 years, and how might it continue to evolve as we look toward the next decade of JOCAM?

· How have we influenced policy and practice in various countries over the past decade, and where do we need to inform it over the next decade?

· What are the key unanswered substantive questions about children and media that we need to address over the next decade?

We welcome commentaries as well as creative formats such as dialogues, paired commentaries, debates, interviews, personal trajectories, visual illustrations and the like from those interested in the role of media in children’s and adolescents' lives from all disciplines and perspectives. Established scholars may want to consider paired commentaries that bring in emerging voices or veteran scholars from related fields.

Contributions can range in length up to approximately 4000 words.

Please send an abstract of up to one page by October 1st, 2014 to Dafna Lemish, co-editor, (dafnalemish /at/ siu.edu). All inquiries should be addressed to Dafna as well. Authors will be notified by November 1st of whether their proposed contribution has been invited for submission for the special issue. Final manuscripts will be due on March 1st, 2015.

Invitation to submit does not constitute a guarantee of publication. All contributions will be reviewed by the editorial team: Co-Editors Amy Jordan and Dafna Lemish and Review and Commentary Editor Vicky Rideout, and reviews will be sent back by June 1st, 2015. Revisions will be due by August 1st, 2015.

Publication date: Volume 10, Issue 1, February 2016.