Archive for February 2014

[ecrea] International conference on Media and Popular culture

Thu Feb 06 17:15:26 GMT 2014

Centre for Research in Social sciences and Humanities

(www.socialsciencesandhumanities.com)

is inviting paper/panel proposals for

International Conference on Media and Popular culture to be held in

Vienna, Austria, 30-31.05.2014.

Conference venue: ***** Hotel Ambassador Vienna, A-1010 Wien, Kärntner Straße 22 / Neuer Markt 5, Austria, http://www.ambassador.at/

It is an unobjectionable fact that media participate in formation of our daily lives by creating identities, images, and by generally influencing our views. This applies not only to politics (i.e. political campaigns), but also to the formation on how we see ourselves and others. Popular culture, on the other hand, also affects our daily lives by fostering images and ideologies, and by selling way of life that is presented as acceptable or non-acceptable.

Sociological theories presented five models of audiences (hypodermic model, normative model, model of satisfying needs, interpretative model, structural interpretative model), and scholars still debate usability of each model due to the influence of media and popular culture over current issues.

These and other issues will be discussed at our conference.

Papers are invited (but not limited to) for the following panels:

Media and identity

Media and political campaigns

Media and discrimination

Media and war

War reporting

Women in the media

Objectivity of media

Media and democracy

Media and human rights

Popular culture

TV shows and identity

Film and identity

TV shows and everyday lives

Film and everyday lives

Media and memory

Media and history

History of media and popular culture

Media and diplomacy

Media and the Collapse of Eastern Europe

Audience studies

Media and the war in Yugoslavia

Media and religion

Media audience models

Prospective participants are also welcome to submit proposals for their own panels.

Submissions of abstracts (up to 500 words), short bios (up to 100 words), and email contact should be sent to Dr Martina Topic

((martina /at/ socialsciencesandhumanities.com)) by 15th April 2014. Decisions will be made by 20th April 2014, and payment of the conference fee has to be made by 4th May 2014.

Finalised Conference programme will be available 15th May 2014.

The Centre established a peer review journal and a working paper series. Conference papers will be considered for publication.

We welcome paper proposals from scholars, NGO activists, Master and PhD students, and independent researchers.

Conference fee is EUR 290, and it includes

The registration fee

Conference bag and folder with materials

Conference publication

Access to the newsletter, and electronic editions of the Centre

Opportunity for participating in future activities of the Centre (research & co-editing proceedings)

Discount towards participation fee for future conferences

Conference drinks (mineral water and fruit juice)

Coffee-break morning with drinks and pastries

Buffet Lunch

Coffee-break afternoon with drinks and pastries

Buffet Dinner

WLAN during the conference

Conference rate for rooms at Hotel Ambassador

Certificate of attendance

Centre for Research in Humanities and Social Sciences is a private institution founded in December 2013 in Croatia (EU).

We selected Austria as a place for hosting conferences due to Austria’s favourable geographic position, and liberal Visa regime for conference participants with EU Visa requirements.

Unfortunately, the Centre has no available funds for covering transport and accommodation in Austria. Participants are responsible for finding funding to cover transportation and accommodation costs during the whole period of the conference.

The Centre will not discriminate based on the origin and/or methodological/paradigmatic approach of prospective conference participants.

Conference drinks, coffee breaks, lunches and dinners are covered for both days of the conference.

Centre for Research in Social Sciences and Humanities
Viktora Kovacica 5
HR - 10 010 Zagreb
Croatia

Tel. + 385 99 224 07 01
E-mail: (info /at/ socialsciencesandhumanities.com)