Archive for April 2013

[ecrea] RIP Karol Jakubowicz

Tue Apr 30 09:32:37 GMT 2013

Dear list members,
This time I bring sad news. Karol Jakubowicz died on 28 April. We'll all miss him. Below you'll find a text from Greg Lowe, which I'm distributing with his kind permission.
Best, n

+++

Dear friends and colleagues,

I regret to inform you that Dr. Karol Jakubowicz has died. His wife, Małgorzata Semil, was in touch about two weeks ago in response to a routine request I had sent to Karol. He wasn't able to respond in person, but provided a suggestion that she kindly forwarded. Karol died on Sunday morning, April 28, after an illness related to the life-long complications of his general health since birth. He endured a series of operations over a period of weeks and had managed to pull through those, but after a brief period of improvement when taken out of intensive care, and when his family hoped he might recover, his situation worsened again and he was not able to recover.

Karol was a great intellect. He contributed to three RIPE conferences (2004, 2006 and 2008) and authored chapters in the series of Readers published by NORDICOM. He produced a series of reports for the Council of Europe that are essential documents in media policy about PSM in Europe. In fact, he was a primary source of original thinking, together with his friend Christian Nissen, about the transition to PSM. He published numerous books and innumerable journal articles and conference papers over the decades. He was a highly respected and accomplished scholar and one of the handful of 'go to guys' in central and Eastern Europe. Karol had a wry wit that often provoked much laughter. He was a voracious reader and he found true joy in the playground and workshop of ideas. I enjoyed our friendship enormously and I will miss him. I find it hard to accept that he is no longer with us. He was a good man and a dear friend.

There is no need to respond to me. I am simply informing you of Karol's death at Małgorzata's request.

Rest in peace, my friend -- and behalf of all your colleagues in this network, much thanks for all that you contributed in so many ways to so many people. You have made a difference that makes a difference.

Regards,
Greg

Gregory F. Lowe
Professor of Media Management
School of Communication, Media & Theatre
Main Building room E218
University of Tampere, Finland
Continuity Director, RIPE Initiative
EMMA President (2012-2014)
(Greg.Lowe /at/ uta.fi) <mailto:(Greg.Lowe /at/ uta.fi)>
(glowe /at/ pp.inet.fi) <mailto:(glowe /at/ pp.inet.fi)>
+358 400 475300