Archive for March 2013

[ecrea] Reframing Cinema Histories, University College Cork, 22 March 2013

Fri Mar 01 15:14:47 GMT 2013

‘REFRAMING CINEMA HISTORIES’

University College Cork, Ireland

This one day symposium will address historical approaches to the study of cinema. Proponents of the 'historical turn' in film studies and what is termed 'new cinema history' have repeatedly called for an interdisciplinary research model and for practices that require the use of a wide range of primary sources, but as the contexts in which we work evolve, how is our research and our field of study developing?
What new studies, approaches and models are emerging?

SPEAKERS:

•       Dr Ciara Chambers (University of Ulster) explores British newsreels in Ireland
•       Dr Pierluigi Ercole (University College Cork) explores Fascist propaganda films in UK and Ireland
•       Dr Lee Grieveson (University College London) explores US and UK non-theatrical film in the early part of the 20th century
•       Dr Peter Kramer (University of East Anglia) explores Stanley Kubrick and Post War Hollywood
•       Dr Judith Thissen (University of Utrecht) explores movie going in the Netherlands
•       Dr Gwenda Young (University College Cork) explores racial politics in Clarence Brown’s Intruder in the Dust

Symposium organisers: Pierluigi Ercole (UCC) and Gwenda Young (UCC)

Admission to this symposium is free but registration is required. Please email registration before 18 March to:(uccfilmstudies /at/ ucc.ie)

UCC Film Studies would like to acknowledge the financial support of the School of English, UCC and the School of Languages, Literatures and Cultures, UCC