Archive for February 2013

[ecrea] CFP: Representations of "The Family" in Television (Edited Collection)

Sun Feb 10 05:08:07 GMT 2013

Call for Papers: Representations of “The Family” in Television (Edited Collection)

We invite contributions for an edited collection that examines the shifts in representations of “the family” in television. It is the aim of this book to trace and critically explore the many permutations of the family in relation to cultural anxieties and socio-political change.

We seek submissions adopting a Cultural Studies approach that critique “the family” in relation to issues including, but not limited to:

· Familial compositions. E.g. “blended”, “single parent”, “adoptive/foster”, “same-sex”, “patriarchal nuclear”, “dysfunctional”.

· Specific subject positions and cultural constructs. E.g. patriarch/father figures, matriarch/mother figures, “the teenager”.

· Gender

· Sexuality (including monogamy and polygamy)

· National identity

· ‘Race’/ethnicity

· Class

· Postmodernism

· Late capitalism

· Generational relationships

· Public/private domains

· Urban/suburban anxieties

· Surveillance society

· Loss of community/re-workings of community

Texts that could be discussed include, but are not limited to, Family Ties, The Brady Bunch, Happy Days, Growing Pains, The Cosby Show, Diff’rent Strokes, Good Times, The Nanny, Step-by-Step, Full House, Who’s the Boss, The Sopranos, The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, Desperate Housewives, Modern Family, Two and a Half Men, The Gilmore Girls, Family Matters, Big Love, Married with Children, Roseanne, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, The Wonder Years, Seventh Heaven, Life Goes On, South Park, Packed to the Rafters, House Husbands, Kath and Kim, Redfern Now, Till Death Us Do Part, Bless this House, Love Thy Neighbour, The Royle Family, My Family, Dani’s House, Life with Boys.

Please send a 300-500 word abstract with a working title and brief biographical statement (including your contact information, affiliation, position and also a list of relevant publications) in MS Word format to the editors, Dr Kara-Jane Lombard and Dr Alzena MacDonald, Lecturers in the School of Media, Culture and Creative Arts at Curtin University (Perth, Western Australia), via shared mailbox: (TV.families /at/ curtin.edu.au) by 7 June 2013.

Please note: the submission of a complete paper is not necessary. We will invite papers (6500 - 7000 words) for the collection after the deadline for abstract submission.