[ecrea] new book: Waves of War

Fri Nov 23 08:11:57 GMT 2012

Waves of War
Andreas Wimmer

Why did the nation-state emerge and proliferate across the globe?

How is this process related to the wars fought in the modern era?

Analyzing datasets that cover the entire world over long stretches of time, Andreas Wimmer shows that political power and legitimacy are central to our understanding of nation building, ethnic politics and the violent conflicts
associated with both.

'Waves of War is a critical and timely contribution to the study of conflict that sets a new standard.'

Stathis N. Kalyvas, Yale University
PB | £19.99, November
HB | £60.00, November
E-Book, December
Key Features:

• Provides a new analysis of the rise and global spread of the nation-state
and the associated conflicts and wars

• Introduces a fresh perspective on war and conflict by highlighting the crucial role of political legitimacy

• Based on solid quantitative evidence from new, original datasets that cover the entire world

Find out more and order your copy here

You might also be interested in...
The Sociology of War and Violence

War is a highly complex and dynamic form of social conflict. This new book demonstrates the importance of using sociological tools to understand the changing character of war and organised violence.

PB | £23.99

Find out more here
Real Social Science

Real Social Science presents a new, hands-on approach to social inquiry. The theoretical and methodological ideas behind the book, inspired by Aristotelian phronesis, represent an original perspective within the social sciences.

PB | £18.99

Find out more here

The Sources of Social Power
Volume 4, Globalizations

Distinguishing four sources of power – ideological, economic, military and political – this series traces their interrelations throughout human history.

PB | c. £22.99
Find out more here

View our full range of Sociology titles here

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to email me directly

Kind regards,

Hannah Daldry
(Hdaldry /at/ cambridge.org)
Marketing Executive