[ecrea] Call for Panels and Papers--Beyond the Culture Industry (National University of Singapore)

Mon Nov 05 09:12:50 GMT 2012

Main theme: *BEYOND THE CULTURE INDUSTRY*

Date: *July 3rd to July 5th 2013
*
Venue: *National University of Singapore*, Kent Ridge Campus

Organizers: Inter-Asia Cultural Studies Society, Asia Research Institute, and Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, NUS

Opening keynote speaker: Professor Lily Kong, Vice-President, National University of Singapore

Plenary panel 1: Beyond the Culture Industry. Speakers include Professor Stephan Chan (Academic Dean, Faculty of Arts, Lingnan University, Hong Kong)

Plenary panel 2: Power, Politics and Pop Culture -- Chua Beng Huat's Scholarship. Speakers include Professor Kuan-Hsing Chen (National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan), Professor Meaghan Morris (University of Sydney), Associate Professors Kian-Woon Kwok and C.J.W.L. Wee (Nanyang Technological University, Singapore)

Plenary panel 3: States of Emergency. Speakers include Professor Hee Yeon Cho (SungKongHoe University, Seoul), and Hilmar Farid (National University of Singapore)

Closing keynote speaker: Professor Thongchai Winichakul, University of Wisconsin-Madison

CALL FOR PANELS AND PAPERS

Submission deadline: *Dec 1st 2012* -- online submission form for panels, for papers (http://culturalstudies.asia/)

Announcement of accepted panels and papers: Jan 1st 2013

Email: (iacs.conference /at/ gmail.com)

For graduate students, please submit your paper for the Graduate Conference, 1-2 July 2013

The general theme of the 2013 conference is "Beyond the Culture Industry". In the past two decades, the cultural sphere of rising Asian economies has increasingly shifted from being marked by the politics of authoritarianism and democratization to being pervaded by the market logic of deepening capitalism. The development of Asian culture industries has come under increasing scrutiny in cultural studies. However, we note that the emphases have been on the cultural policy of developmental states and the production of the cultural economy. For the 2013 conference, we seek to move beyond these emphases and inquire into the politics of culture that accompanies the neoliberalization of the cultural sphere.

We welcome panel proposals of 3-4 papers based on the general theme and other important topics in inter-Asia cultural studies today. Panels proposed will be listed on the Submitted Panels page on the IACS Society website. To facilitate panel construction and encourage interaction between scholars, we will be providing the Call for Panels Bulletin Board for prospective panel organizers to put up their panel ideas and contact email --- interested presenters are encouraged to either look for a panel to join or to put up a panel idea on the Bulletin Board. The call is now open --- please submit your panel proposal using our Call for Panels online form.

While we prefer panel proposals, we will be accepting individual paper proposals, on condition that author(s) would accept our decision on the organization of relevant papers into panels and the right to reorganize panels due to withdrawals and other contingencies. Papers proposed will be listed on the Submitted Papers page of the IACS Society website. The call is now open --- please submit your paper proposal using our Call for Papers online form.

We are organizing a post-graduate conference over 2 days, 1st-2nd July, before the main conference. The call for post-graduate papers is now open. To encourage peer interaction, exchange and support between post-graduate students in a conducive learning environment, post-graduate students are required to submit their papers for the post-graduate conference. Post-graduate student papers will only be considered for the main conference if the papers are part of panels proposed by faculty members of a tertiary educational or research institution.

REGISTRATION FEES

Registration fees are tiered according to the country your institution is based in:

Tier 1, SGD $200: OECD countries, EU countries, Gulf Cooperation Council countries, Hong Kong, Macao, Singapore, Taiwan Tier 2, SGD $150: China, India, Indonesia, Iran, Malaysia, the Philippines, Russia, Thailand
Tier 3, SGD $100: All other countries
Student, SGD $50: All graduate students

Registration for the conference will open after the announcement of accepted papers and panels on 1st January 2013. The fees will be collected through online credit card payment on this website. Conference participants must register by 1st March 2013.

Limited grants for registration and accommodation will be given out to applicants from institutions based in Tier 3 countries on a case-by-case basis. Application will open with the registration.

ACCOMMODATION

Participants are responsible for making their own arrangements for accommodation in Singapore. We will be making recommendations for hotels when registration opens. Public transportation is convenient and inexpensive in Singapore. Traveling to the conference venue, the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, would take 15-20 minutes by taxi from the recommended hotels.

We will also be block-booking 200 inexpensive, air-conditioned single rooms at the Prince George's Park Residences on campus. Priority will be given to graduate student participants, and participants from institutions based in Tier 2 and Tier 3 countries on a first-come-first-served basis.

CONFERENCE EVENTS

We will be hosting a welcome cocktail reception on the first evening of the conference.

The IACS Society will be organizing a conference dinner on the last evening of the conference at the Guild House on campus. Subsidized meal tickets will be sold.

Film screening facilities are available at the conference venue, with seating capacity of up to 300 people. If you have a film you would like to screened at the conference, please email the IACS Society Conference Secretary to make arrangements.

For all enquiries, please email the IACS Society Conference Secretary, Dr Daniel Goh, (iacs.conference /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(iacs.conference /at/ gmail.com)>