[ecrea] Job vacancy: Lecturer in Digital Cultures at the University of Sydney, Australia

Fri Nov 02 11:13:33 GMT 2012

The Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences at the University of Sydney is currently seeking to appoint a Lecturer in Digital Cultures. For more information and to apply, search by reference number 1593/0912 at sydney.edu.au/positions

LECTURER IN DIGITAL CULTURES
SCHOOL OF LETTERS, ART AND MEDIA

* Exciting opportunity for a scholar with expertise in social and cultural aspects of digital technologies * Join a dynamic, engaged group of renowned academics in a leading centre for digital cultures work

* Full-time, continuing: $104.6K - $124.2K p.a. (including salary, leave loading and up to 17% super)

The University of Sydney is Australia's first university and has an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. It employs over 7500 permanent staff supporting over 49,000 students.

The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences offers one of the most comprehensive and diverse range of humanities and social science studies in the Asia Pacific region and is regularly ranked in the 20 top faculties of its kind.

The Digital Cultures Program was founded in 2000 as a critical investigation of the intersections of digital technology, society and culture. It is based in the School of Letters, Art and Media. The program includes an undergraduate major, an Honours program, postgraduate coursework programs and postgraduate research degrees.

>From 2013 the Digital Cultures Program will formally become part of the Department of Media and Communications (MECO), a leading centre for teaching, research, and public engagement. Its fields of interest include transformations in communication and media, journalism studies, digital cultures and technologies, culture and media, communication and media policy, public and political communication, health communication, media history, screen studies, and media and politics. The amalgamation of the Digital Cultures Program with MECO will enhance both areas, and the burgeoning field of digital cultures research.

Since its foundation in 2000, MECO has established itself as a supportive environment for innovative research. It makes an internationally significant contribution to advancing understandings of media, communication, and digital cultures, that are now so central to our social, economic, political, and cultural arrangements. MECO has a strong track record of research collaborations and external grant success.

MECO benefits from excellent media production facilities, high-quality research infrastructure and support, established interdisciplinary links and projects with outstanding researchers at the University working on media and communication from different disciplinary perspectives such as cultural studies, gender studies, political studies, human rights, sociology, law, business, science and technology, health and medicine, and area studies, especially Asia, the Americas, and Europe.

Digital cultures research is a key research focus in the new amalgamation of the Digital Cultures Program with the Department of Media and Communications and we seek to expand this emphasis through the appointment of a new lecturer in Digital Cultures.

In this exciting lectureship opportunity in digital cultures you will:

* teach and develop curriculum for undergraduate and postgraduate courses in digital cultures, and related areas of communication and media * make an important contribution to the research strengths of the school, including regular publication in journals of high ranking and other quality outlets, and pursuing research grants
    * supervise research higher degree students
* develop effective interdisciplinary collaborations within the University, across the academic fields and with external stakeholders * engage with communication and media industry, professions, and interested publics
    * contribute to academic administration.

To be the successful candidate you will need:

    * a PhD in digital cultures, communications and media, or related field
    * teaching experience at tertiary level in digital cultures
* proven expertise and knowledge, research ability and research potential in digital cultures * evidence of your ability to undertake academic administrative responsibilities * the ability to work in a collegial and effective manner with a broad range of university wide colleagues and with external stakeholders * a demonstrated capacity for engagement in cultural and industry debates regarding digital cultures.

CLOSING DATE: 13 January 2013 (11:30pm Sydney time)

The proposed start date for this role is 1 July 2013, or as soon as possible thereafter.

The University is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity and social inclusion. Applications from equity target groups and women are encouraged.

© The University of Sydney