[ecrea] Faculty Vacancy_ College of Staten Island_CUNY

Wed Oct 10 08:33:20 GMT 2012

FACULTY VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT

The Department of Media Culture of the College of Staten Island (CSI) invites applications for a tenure-track position in Corporate Communication at the rank of Assistant Professor beginning Fall 2013.

The College of Staten Island is a leading publicly funded unit of The City University of New York (CUNY) located in the fastest growing borough of New York City. It is situated on 204 acres of wooded grounds with nineteen buildings constructed in the Georgian style. It is a comprehensive liberal arts and technology institution with a commuter student population. Dormitories are under construction and are expected to open in Fall 2013. Free shuttle service is offered from the Staten Island Ferry to the CSI Campus. CSI is also home to the CUNY High Performance Computing Center and outstanding computational assets are available for research purposes, including a broad portfolio of statistical tools and social science data resources.

The Department of Media Culture strongly values its interdisciplinary approach, combining theory and practice in all its teaching, research and creative pursuits. It offers three degrees: BA in Cinema Studies, BS in Communications and MA in Cinema and Media Studies. Our Master's program offers faculty opportunities for seminar teaching and working with students on research and/or production theses. The department also prepares students for PhD programs in cinema and communications, as well as related disciplines in the humanities and social sciences.

The college's location in New York City enables it to draw on the vast economic and cultural resources of the city. It also provides opportunities for faculty to interact with practitioners in industry and with researchers at other colleges and universities in the metropolitan area. Opportunities exist to serve on the Doctoral Faculty of The City University of New York Graduate School in various field areas.
 QUALIFICATIONS
 The successful candidate will have Ph.D or equivalent terminal degree in Communication or related fields. ABD Doctoral candidates may apply but must have PhD in hand by time of hire. Expertise is required in the critical history and theory of corporate communications (advertising, marketing, public relations), especially in regard to new digital media in non-U.S. environments. Preferred areas of study include but are not limited to privacy, consumer data, data mining, branding, commodity activism, intellectual property rights, or copyright law. Also required are demonstrated excellence in teaching, record of and continuing interest in productive scholarship, and ability to cooperate with others for the good of the institution. Professional experience in some field of corporate communications is desirable but not necessary.

This successful candidate will teach students skills applicable to careers in corporate communications, and courses on social and cultural implications of corporate-dominated communications and the potential of grassroots access to new and accessible forms of communication for both private and public sectors.

This position will primarily serve our Corporate Communications concentration, and will support concentrations in Journalism, Design&  Digital Media, and Media Studies, as well as potentially contribute to our General Education and master's level curricula. The successful applicant will teach at all levels of the curriculum, in the common communications core and in specialized courses in his/her field.

The College of Staten Island is committed to a diverse work environment that reflects the multicultural makeup of our student body. The successful candidate will be committed to inclusion and excellence. The Search Committee is especially interested in candidates who can contribute, through their research, teaching and/or service, to the diversity of the academic community. Women and applicants from traditionally underrepresented populations are strongly encouraged to apply.

 COMPENSATION
 CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation ($42,873 - $74,133) and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.

 HOW TO APPLY
 From our job posting system, select "Apply Now", create or log in to a user account, and provide the requested information. If you are viewing this posting from outside our system, please log on towww.cuny.edu. Navigate to "Employment", then "Job postings on line". Find Job ID # 6475.

In order to be considered for this position, applicants must submit a letter of application, current curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of three professional references.

If you have difficulty with uploading multiple documents to the web site please send them to
(facultyrecruithss /at/ csi.cuny.edu).

 CLOSING DATE
 November 1, 2012

 JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
 CUNY Job Posting: Faculty

 EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
 We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply.  We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.