[ecrea] ACADIAD - 2013 American Communication Association Conference

Thu Sep 06 23:08:07 GMT 2012

"ACADIAD – 2013"

The 2013 American Communication Association Conference

~A Celebration of 20 Years of ACA~

http://www.americancomm.org/

To be held in historic Lafayette, Louisiana

"Taking Stock in Our Past, Present, and Future..."

May 29 – June 2, 2013

@ The Crowne Conference Plaza

I'm excited to invite you to attend the 2013 American Communication Conference, from May 29 to June 2 2013, in Lafayette, Louisiana. As always, we are very pleased to bring together communicators from all walks of life -- academics, professionals, students, and every who is interested in this discipline that touches all of our lives. In this world of social networking and high speed global communication, it is more important than ever to discuss and dialog about this most fundamental human behavior.

Please join us in person, at our mini conference, for a heaping helping of good food, great surroundings, Cajun hospitality, and collegial dialog about all aspects of human communication. I hope you will consider not only attending, but submitting your own work for possible presentation. Or, you might want to propose a panel on a communication topic of particular interest to you. We welcome all submissions and look forward to reviewing many great entries.

So please take a few moments out of your busy lives to make plans to come to Lafayette this crawfish season. We look forward to seeing you then.

Dr. Phil Auter
ACA Executive Director

COME JOIN US!!! The American Communication Association (ACA) is celebrating a twenty (20) year anniversary this year, and we would definitely like for you and your colleagues to come join us for a convention in Lafayette, Louisiana. If you are an academic, or, a communication practitioner, we want to hear from you!!! This will be a communication conference to be forever remembered. Not only will we be having a down-home good old time on the Bayou with a shrimp and crawfish boil, we will also be examining some very interesting and unique perspectives on the communication discipline. Join us for a good time, and more importantly, some great panel presentations from noteworthy communication professionals.

In keeping with the spirit of ACA's "openness," our official CALL FOR PAPERS, PANELS, AND PRESENTATIONS is literally ~open~. Our general theme is "Taking Stock in Our Past, Present, and Future..." but we are especially open to the idea of projects and papers which address the future directions that the ACA should take in the next twenty (20) years. Young scholars and practitioners are welcome to join us, as are seasoned veterans of the academy and professional walks. If you focus on the concept of human communication on a daily basis, we are very open to hearing about your work, ideas, and suggestions/plans for the development of a better ACA communication community. As the good folk of Louisiana commonly say, "Laissez les bon, temps rouler!!!" (Let the good times roll!!!).

Call for Papers, Panels, Abstracts, and Presentations:

Deadline for Submissions: March 15, 2013
Notification of Acceptance/Rejection: April 15, 2013

Suggested Topics: Presenters may address any topic related to the discipline of communication. For the 2013 Conference, submissions on several topics are encouraged; they include: social media, technology, communication innovation, electronic publishing, Web 2.0 applications and development, international and intercultural communication, public speaking, rhetorical studies, organizational communication, and interpersonal communication praxis, Panels on the history and future of ACA are of special interest. We will also be presenting a showcase session on the ACA online textbook project being completed by Dr. Lisa Schreiber from Millersville University, exploring the global implications of this very special working e-textbook model.

Submissions May Include: (1) abstracts of papers to be completed [no more than 300 words], (2) panel presentations [include the names of panel participants, affiliations, and working title of each presentation], (3) round-table discussions [include the topic to be discussed, and the names and affiliations of each discussant], (4) presentations that call for technology-mediated interactive showcasing, (5) student presentations of up to 15 minutes in length, (6) papers that need critique and feedback from the ACA Community in order to be vetted for publication, and (7) speeches of importance or significance.

Conference Fees: $125 online prepayment by May 15, 2013; $150 on site.

NOTE: Your conference registration fees cover the following: (1) a conference bag tote, (2) an ACA T-shirt, (3) ACA stationary and pens, (4) all of the conference papers stored on an ACA16GB USB memory stick, (5) an authentic Louisiana Voo-Doo doll, (6) conference facility usage by all, (7) all coffee/tea/sodas/water and snacks throughout the convention, (8) an all-you-can-eat shrimp and crawfish dinner on Friday night, (9) a PO BOY dinner on Saturday night, (10) free wine and beer at the group conference room facility, (11) a full bar reception by the pool, (12) morning beignets from T-COONS RESTAURANT, (13) a special show with a Cajun comedian, and (14) service tips for the students and staff who will be helping us run the event. We aim not to lose money; but, more importantly, we aim not to make any money. The conference should pay for itself. You will get back what you give.

In order to have your presentation, panel, paper, or abstract considered for inclusion, please email your idea/concept to ACA President Dr. Jim Parker (Professor of Communication at Austin-Peay State University) at (parkerj /at/ apsu.edu) In order for ACA to properly review your work, please include the following in all correspondence with Dr. Parker, who is the Official Conference Organizer: (1) title of presentation, (2) type of proposed presentation, (3) name and affiliation of the authors/presenters, (4) contact information [including emails and telephone numbers of all presenters].

Everyone should know that we have placed a MAXIMUM CAP of seventy-five (75) select attendees for this special convention. The conference space that has been reserved can only accommodate that many people. We at ACA prefer to have more intimate settings in which to discuss our work, collectively, instead of having huge conferences where you don't really get the chance to meet people in significant, meaningful ways. This intimacy is the hallmark of the Association, and we value it greatly.

Local Venue, Events, and Keynote Speakers

Lafayette, Louisiana is the center of Cajun Culture in Louisiana and the United States. It is also home to the RAGIN CAJUNS of the University of Louisiana. Lafayette has a strong tourism industry because of the Cajun culture, both in the city proper and the surrounding parish region. There is also a strong Creole influence in the area, although most Creoles (and their descendants) originate from the east of New Orleans. These Cajun and Creole influences, especially when infused within the cuisine of the region, are among some of the most famous in the United States. The food is spicy and the Zydeco music is abundant, reflecting the true "love for life" that the people of this area naturally possess. You will find ample things to do while visiting Lafayette, and will be both humbled and pleasantly surprised by the hospitality that Louisiana's inhabitants bestow upon their guests.

The conference will be held at the CROWNE PLAZA HOTEL AND RESORT, located on 1801 West Pinhook Road, Lafayette, Louisiana 70508. Conference room rates have been group negotiated at $110 a night for either an (a) single king, or, (b) double queen room. We suggest that you arrive on May 29th 2013 and depart on June 2nd. Situated in the heart of the "Oil Center," the CROWNE PLAZA'S guests appreciate the proximity to businesses such as Baker Hughes, Chevron, and Halliburton. When it's time to work, the hotel has free WI-FI access throughout and a well-equipped Business Center. This property is "the place to meet" in town with 14,000 sq. feet of event space and 12 conference facility rooms in which to meet and greet. A convenient location means you can discover all the excitement of Lafayette. The hotel is near all of the top attractions, such as the Heymann Performing Arts Center, Zoo of Acadiana, and Acadian Village. As well, a trip to Louisiana would not be complete without a SWAMP TOUR; and, if you're looking to spice up your visit, you can easily take a tour of the McIlehenny Company's Tabasco Factory, a short drive away.

For your personal entertainment, the night club "Scandals" in the CROWNE PLAZA features an Old School Dance Club Venue, a Smoke Free Environment, with Local Entertainers and Celebrities playing all your favorite Dance Music from a time that many locals fondly remember and some that have never experienced Scandals, will never forget!

In order to reserve a room for this event, please CLICK the following link BELOW to the hotel registration website:
American Communication Association (ACA) 2013 Conference

We will be having several important events at the conference, which should be noted by attendees. However, a generic overview of events is necessary, in order to facilitate a broader understanding of our 20th Anniversary Celebration:

On May 29th (Wednesday), all conference participants should begin making their way to Lafayette, Louisiana and stay at the CROWNE SUITES PLAZA on 1801 West Pinhook. The airport code for Lafayette is LFT. That evening, we will offer a FREE beer and wine reception in the official reception suite. Signs will be in the lobby to direct you to this room in the hotel. Beverages and snacks will be served from 7:00pm until we decide to part ways for the evening. This is an informal mixer, during which time, everyone can get to know one another.

On May 30th (Thursday), we will have informal gatherings throughout the day. Several tours of local landmarks will be made available, including the TABASCO FACTORY, EVANGELINE OAK, and UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA facilities. The conference hotel will serve everyone a FREE "together reception dinner" that night, as well. We will also have another reception event that evening in the official reception room, which will give everyone a chance to talk before the official conference gets underway. This is a day of relaxed interpersonal preparation for the actual conference, but it is highly suggested that you be there in order to get to know your colleagues better -- before the business of the convention gets underway.

On May 31st (Friday), we will be having presentations from 9:00am to 6:00pm. Lunch is on your own in the hotel restaurant, or, across the street (Pinhook) at Chili's. That evening, "Crawdaddy's Boil Catering Service" will be putting on a true-to-life crawfish and shrimp boil outside of the restaurant for us all. This is an all-you-can-eat affair. Come hungry. The hotel will be setting up tables and chairs outside, and we will eat in the evening air, together. Following the dinner, we will meet in the reception room for another informal mixer event. Beer, wine, and sodas will be served. Snacks, coffee, water, and sodas will be provided throughout the day during the conference sessions. Our Keynote Speaker for Friday night is Dr. Andrea Pitasi, Professor of Business Communication from D'Annuzio University in Pescara, Italy. He will be talking about the mutual influences that Europe and America have had on one another where communication study is concerned.

On June 1st (Saturday), we will also be having presentations from 9:00am to 6:00pm. Again, lunch is on your own in the hotel restaurant, or, across the street at Chili's. That evening, we will have another special treat. Custom PO BOY sandwiches will be brought in from a local favorite, OLD TYME GROCERY. Following our meal together, we will have a grand experience, as we listen to the COMEDY ROUTINE of Cajun Comedian Johnathan Perry (who is widely known as the Cajun Ambassador of Louisiana). No need to get tickets for this event. Everything is included in your conference registration fee of $125. Following the comedy routine, our Keynote Speaker for Saturday evening is Dr. Peter A. DeCaro from the University of Alaska - Fairbanks, who is Department of Communication Chair and Director of the University Global Studies Program. He will offer his closing thoughts on the conference, as a former Executive Director of ACA.

On June 2nd (Sunday), we expect everyone to make plans for departing. Remember that the CROWNE SUITES provides free shuttle transportation to and from the airport. Participants can gather in the conference restaurant for morning brunch to say their good-byes.

If you have any questions concerning this event, please contact Dr. Tyrone L. Adams, Local Host, at: (theswampboy /at/ gmail.com). We request that you distribute this widely, so that we can get a good draw of handpicked scholars for this celebratory event.

--

Tyrone Leeman Adams, Ph.D.

330 Feu Follet Road, Suite 307 | Lafayette, LA 70508 | USA

Office land-line: (337) 408.3119 | Skype: theswampboy

Email: (leemanadams /at/ gmail.com) | Website: www.tyroneadams.com