[ecrea] Seminar about Crowdfunding at The National Film School of Denmark

Fri Aug 31 16:18:08 GMT 2012

It's not about the Money - Danish and international filmmakers share their experiences on crowdfunding

Seminar at The National Film School of Denmark Thursday October 11, 2012

Crowdfunding is one of the buzzwords in film financing right now and this seminar goes behind the hype to uncover what crowdfunding is all about. Is crowdfunding possible in small countries like Denmark? With generous public arts funding, does it have something to offer Scandinavian filmmakers? Does it only work for documentary films or can you crowdfund an art house feature?

And on a practical level, how does crowdfunding work. What are the differences between crowdfunding sites and methods? How do you start a crowdfunding campaign and succeed in raising finance for your film? Through conversations with directors, producers and funders this seminar will answer these questions and explore how to use crowdfunding to promote your film and build an audience / fan base.

Join Filmskolens Efteruddannelse for a one day seminar about crowdfunding, where we will take a 360° look at the possibilities, promises and problems of this new way of promoting and funding films.

Programme for the seminar

09:15  Coffee and check-in

09:45 Welcome and introduction

Inge Ejbye Sørensen & Ane Mandrup

10:00 How to start and run a crowdfunding campaign – four cases

Two directors and one Scandinavian director/producer generously share their hard-earned experiences of planning and running crowdfunding campaigns across four different crowdfunding sites. Two of the campaigns failed, the other two reached their goals.

Denmark: Director Kim Lysgaard Andersen on his campaign Book of Horror on Indiegogo

Sweden: Director Hanna Sköld on her campaign Granny’s Dancing on the table on Facebook and Kickstarter

Denmark/Scotland/Irak: Producer Marie Schmidt Olsen on her campaigns Minefield on Kickstarter and Strindberg’s Stronger in Scotland on Sponsume

12:00 Lunch

13:00 Crowdfunding is not about the money - Director Christina Rosendahl (DK) in conversation with director Jocelyn Towne (US)

Jocelyn Towne is the director and scriptwriter of I AM I, her first feature and her first venture into crowdfunding. I AM I became one of the top grossing campaigns on Kickstarter in 2010 / 2011, and Jocelyn was listed as one of five indie innovators in 2011 Moviemaker Magazine. I AM I is a character driven drama. It is not based on a book and it’s not a genre movie – it’s an arthouse film in the same tradition as the arthouse film we produce in Denmark and the rest of Europe.

14:30 Coffee

15:00 How can crowdfunding inspire the current film financing and distribution system in Denmark

How can crowdfunding work with ‘old’ funding forms – and can it? Panel discussion with directors, Danish crowdfunding sites, DFI and Danish Distributors.

16:30 Drinks, thanks and goodbyes

The seminar is held Thursday October 11 2012 at The National Film School of Denmark.

The Seminar will be held in English.

This seminar is funded by Filmskolens Efteruddannelse, Angel Films, Filmkopi, DFI & Instuktørsammenslutningen.

Please read more and apply here: http://efu.filmskolen.dk/kursusoversigt/crowdfunding

Any questions? Please don’t hesitate to contact us: (efteruddannelsen /at/ filmskolen.dk)

Best regards

Birgitte Christiansen

The National Film School of Denmark

Post Graduate Training Department