[ecrea] Open call for panel: 2013 Inter-Asia Cultural Studies Society Conference at National University of Singapore

Wed Jul 18 21:14:47 GMT 2012

IACSS CONFERENCE 2013
Main theme: Beyond the Culture Industry
Date: July 3rd to July 5th 2013
Venue: National University of Singapore, Kent Ridge Campus
Organizers: Inter-Asia Cultural Studies Society, Asia Research Institute, and Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, NUS
Submission deadline: Dec 1st 2012 – online submission form
Announcement of accepted panels: Jan 1st 2013
Email: (iacs.conference /at/ gmail.com)
Call for Panels

The general theme of the 2013 conference is “Beyond the Culture Industry”. In the past two decades, the cultural sphere of rising Asian economies has increasingly shifted from being marked by the politics of authoritarianism and democratization to being pervaded by the market logic of deepening capitalism. The development of Asian culture industries has come under increasing scrutiny in cultural studies. However, we note that the emphases have been on the cultural policy of developmental states and the production of the cultural economy. For the 2013 conference, we seek to move beyond these emphases and inquire into the politics of culture that accompanies the neoliberalization of the cultural sphere.

We welcome panel proposals of 3-4 papers based on the general theme and other important topics in inter-Asia cultural studies today. Panels proposed will be listed on the Submitted Panels page on the IACS Society website. We will only accept panel proposals, not individual paper proposals. To facilitate panel construction and encourage interaction between scholars, we will be providing the CFP Bulletin Board for prospective panel organizers to put up their panel ideas and contact email — interested presenters are encouraged to either look for a panel to join or to put up a panel idea on the Bulletin Board. The call is now open — please submit your panel proposal using our online form.

Accommodation information, registration fees schedule, and other details about the conference will be updated here when they are confirmed.
http://culturalstudies.asia/iacs-conference-2013/

For enquiries, please email the IACS Society Conference Secretary, Daniel Goh, (iacs.conference /at/ gmail.com)