[ecrea] Doing Discourse Analysis: methods, tools, approaches

Mon Apr 30 21:07:54 GMT 2012

Today we 'publish' the second of our Virtual Special Issues. 'Doing Discourse Analysis' collects 8 articles published in CDS over the past 8 years, with 4 of these free to download:

http://bit.ly/cds-virtual-issues

Info on the 'issue':

Given the interdisciplinary pedigree of critical discourse studies, scholars have developed and applied a wide variety of methods and approaches, as part of their analysis. These include linguistic analysis of various forms (phonology, lexical, syntactic and semantic analysis), analysis of narrative, cohesion and textual macrostructural properties, conversation and turn-taking, implicature, interaction and argumentation, thematic analysis of diverse kinds, amongst many others. Cutting across this, like all research in humanities and social sciences, there are quantitative and qualitative research methodologies; cross-sectional (synchronic) and longitudinal (diachronic) studies; there are articles that utilise data, cases and corpora to make a claim to representativity and those that speak to more interpretative (and/or ideological) notions of significance; there is computer aided analysis, Michael Billig’s ‘traditional scholarship’, and everything in between.
While it would clearly be impossible to cover all of these various approaches, our second Virtual Special Issue presents some of the analytic diversity in the field of critical discourse studies. Titled Doing Discourse Analysis: methods, tools, approaches, this special issue collects together eight articles that vary both in the extent to which they focus on the detailed structures and contents of text and talk and in the methods applied in their analysis.

Feel free to circulate far&  wide

Media and Cultural Studies
School of Arts and Cultures
Newcastle University