[ecrea] Film-Philosophy Conference 2012, London, Sept 12-14

Wed Mar 07 18:42:08 GMT 2012

Film-Philosophy Conference 2012

London, September 12-14, 2012

Jointly Hosted by King’s College London, Queen Mary, University of London and Kingston University

Keynote Speakers:

Bernard Stiegler

Francesco Casetti

Ken McMullen

Libby Saxton

Damian Sutton

Film-philosophy continues to grow as an important discipline within the fields of both Film Studies and Philosophy. The Film-Philosophy Conference brings together scholars from all over the world to present their research on a broad range of topics within the subject area.

The 2012 conference will take place September 12-14, and will be jointly hosted by King’s College London, Queen Mary, University of London and Kingston University.

This year’s event will feature a special screening and workshop at the BFI Southbank, to coincide with their Hitchcock Retrospective.

We are open to any topics on the subject but would particularly welcome papers relating to the films of Alfred Hitchcock.

Other topics that will be considered include:
- New approaches to film and philosophy
- Considerations of individual films
- The debate between continental and analytic philosophy in relation to film
- Films about philosophy or philosophers
- Film and phenomenology
- Significant auteurs
- Studies of individual philosophers and their relationship with film
- The methodology of film-philosophy
- Ethics
- Cognitivism
- Film style
- Genre
- Media convergence

Abstracts should be 200 - 300 words long and papers, including clips - which we strongly encourage - should not exceed 20 minutes. We accept panel submissions with a maximum of three speakers and a length of 90 minutes.

SUBMISSION DEADLINE 31^ST  MAY 2012

Both individual and panel proposals must be submitted through the conference website (no initial cost involved): http://www.film-philosophy.com/conference/index.php/conf/2012/about/submissions