[ecrea] new book: Normative Experience in Internet Politics

Wed Feb 15 21:46:30 GMT 2012

Normative Experience in Internet Politics

Edited by Françoise Massit-Folléa, Cécile Méadel &
Laurence Monnoyer-Smith

The ways in which the Internet is managed and controlled – often labeled as

Internet Governance– are usually considered as standing on four main pillars:

Technology, Market Laws, State Regulation and Uses. Nevertheless, its specific

features, the consequences of the plurality of norms it involves and of the decisionmaking

processes it entails are rarely addressed in a comprehensive analysis.

This book explores the Internet’s functioning both as a practical-intellectual

experience and a political challenge. By means of several case studies, it proposes a

substantial and reflexive treatment of multileveled, formal or informal Internet

Politics. The book’s overall endeavor is to outline an understanding of what is –or

may be– a “digital common good”.

The authors are members of a European academic team gathered by the Vox

Internet research program’s meetings. They adopt a multi-disciplinary approach,

embedding technological innovation in the field of social sciences (communication

studies, sociology, law, political science and philosophy).

By Romain Badouard, Dominique Boullier, Herbert Burkert, Dominique Cardon,

Mireille Delmas-Marty, Françoise Massit-Folléa, Paul Mathias, Cécile Méadel,

Laurence Monnoyer-Smith, Francesca Musiani, Claudia Padovani, and Bernhard

Rieder.

Special Offer

Order Form

18 euros (instead of 25 – shipping in Europe included)

not valid after 24th February 2012

Please fill in the form (in attachment) and send your check to

Transvalor – Presses des MINES

60, Bd Saint Michel,

75272 Paris cedex 06 - France

or

http://www.pressesdesmines.com

http://www.pressesdesmines.com/normative-experience-in-internet-politics.html

(special offer code: NEXIP)

?=?=?

The information list (community /at/ millennia2015.org) gathers Millennia2015 Community members. To stop receiving these emails, please kindly tell me ((delahaut.marie-anne /at/ institut-destree.eu)).

=> Abonnez-vous au flux RSS - Subscribe to the RSS feed (daily news):

      Via Millennia2015 = www.millennia2015.org/rss.asp

=> Register to Millennia2015 Community – Inscrivez-vous à la Communauté de Millennia2015:

      www.millennia2015.org/Community_Registration

=> www.facebook.com/millennia2015

Millennia 2015, Women actors of development for the global challenges = www.millennia2015.org

?=?=?

ATT02640.htm

Acknowledgments

This book is the result of a collective work. The Vox Internet Research Programme could not have been possible without the precious contribution of many people.

We take the opportunity to thank all speakers and participants, from France and abroad, to our workshops and conferences.

Beyond our warm thanks to the contributors, we are particularly grateful to the members of the Vox Internet scientific committee and other colleagues: Philippe Barbet, Pierre-Jean Benghozi, Jacques Berleur, Danièle Bourcier, Georges Chatillon, Annie Chéneau-Loquay, Loïc Damilaville, Marie-Anne Delahaut, Mélanie Dulong de Rosnay, Jean-Gabriel Ganascia, Philippe Goujon, Alain d’Iribarne, Sylvain Lavelle, Joëlle Le Marec, Patrick Maigron, Alain Moscowitz, Pierre Mounier, Serge Proulx, Pascal Robert, Fabrice Rochelandet, and Yves Winkin.

We would like also to thank our doctoral and post-doctoral students for their fruitful involvement: Romain Badouard, Amar Lakel, Clément Mabi, Francesca Musiani, Marie-Cécile Naves.

Vox Internet owes a particular debt to its faithful supports: Jean-Michel Cornu, Richard Delmas, and Louis Pouzin brought their experience and their vision of Internet Governance issues; Françoise Thibault, from the French Ministry of Research, was the first sponsor of the programme. The French National Agency for Research’s funding allowed its development and achievement Hervé Lièvre and the CERIMES team helped to make Vox Internet notorious online.

The logistics of this 7-years cooperative effort was kindly managed by Catherine Lucas (CSI – Ecole des Mines, Paris), Aurélie Lejeune (Ecole Normale Supérieure, Lyon), Véronique Duveau and Marianne Wavrant (Maison des Sciences de l’Homme, Paris).

Lastly, this book is published due to the precious editorial help of Silvia Dekorsy and Sandra Rodrigues.

françoise massit-follea
(f.massit /at/ orange.fr)
06 74 51 67 65