[ecrea] Africa/UK Journalism Education Initiative - University of Bedfordshire 11-13 April 2012

Sun Feb 05 11:49:00 GMT 2012

From (Lisa.Thomas /at/ beds.ac.uk)

UNESCO UK, in cooperation with the AJE and the University of
Bedfordshire, is organising an event in Luton, designed to develop
greater links between journalism schools in the UK and Africa.

The event will begin on the evening of the 11th April and go through to
the afternoon of the 13th. It is designed both to bring UK-based and
African journalism educators together and to provide professional
development workshops which will be given by, and be of benefit to,
participants from both sides.

There are three strands to the programme: "Gender in Media" and
"Journalism Education and Communication Technology” and a miscellaneous
stream devoted to any relevant topic.

In addition to these strands there will be two keynote events plus two
‘Academic exchange sessions’ – these are one of the prime reasons for
holding the event. It is intended to be an opportunity for African and
UK journalism educators to get together and explore potential areas of
mutual interests including research collaboration, joint media
production projects, staff and student exchanges, curriculum
development, external examination and so forth.

There will be no charge for attendance – but we now need to start
planning numbers so we would be grateful if you could advise us of your
attendance

We are currently constructing the detailed programme but a draft outline
is attached for your convenience.

Hotel accommodation near the University is currently being negotiated
and we will advise about this shortly. There will also be a conference
dinner (which is not included in the ‘free admission’) for which
advanced bookings will be required, again details shortly.

Travel to the campus is very easy. It is a short walk to Luton station
which has frequent trains to St Pancras with a journey time of between
25 and 35 minutes.

So, at this stage could you advise Lisa Thomas at (Lisa.Thomas /at/ beds.ac.uk)
if you will be attending.

We had a good response to offers of workshops on the conference themes,
and we will shortly be contacting those who have offered, however, we
are still open to late offers.

Look forward to seeing you in April.

Many thanks,

Ivor Gaber