[ecrea] Call for Papers - Methods for Analyzing Social Media

Wed Jan 11 16:19:49 GMT 2012

Call for Papers - Methods for Analyzing Social Media

Journal of Technology
in Human Services

Journal of Technology in Human Services is a peer-reviewed journal that explores the potential use of computer technologies, Internet technologies, and telecommunications technologies within human services. The journal publishes quarterly and is entering its 30th volume year.

CALL FOR PAPERS
SPECIAL ISSUE ON METHODS FOR ANALYZING SOCIAL MEDIA
Abstract Submissions Due: January 31, 2012
Manuscript Submissions Due: May 15, 2012
Publication Date: Winter 2012

Social media is becoming increasingly attractive for users. It is a fast way to communicate ideas and it is a key source of information. Therefore, we can call it one of the most influential medium of communication. For this and many other reasons, it is an important aspect for audience research. In our eyes, social media can be generally understood as web-based services “that build on the ideological and technological foundations of Web 2.0, and that allow the creation and exchange of User Generated Content”. How can we analyze social media? Which methods and strategies can we use? Can we just use traditional audience research methods and apply them to online content? Which new research strategies have been developed? What about research ethics – which issues and controversies do we have to pay attention to? How can we develop technical tools for analyzing social media? Which existing tools can we use?

This special issue will focus on research strategies and methods for analyzing social media. The special issue seeks original research papers that report on the latest results and advances in this area. The papers will be peer reviewed and will be selected on the basis of their quality and relevance to the theme of this special issue.

Papers should include innovative research methods within the field of social media analysis. Topics of interests include, but are not limited to:

    *
innovative research methods that shed light upon patterns of social media use;
    *
qualitative observation techniques to examine the use of social media;
    *
      triangulation of qualitative and quantitative methods;
    *
evaluation of social media platforms such blogs, wikis, social networks, but also virtual worlds and multi user online games.

SUBMISSIONS
Abstracts including a definite outline (max. 2 pages) should be sent to Klaus Bredl ((bredl /at/ phil.uni-augsburg.de)). The abstract must be submitted in English. Notification to proceed developing the abstract into an article will be sent to submitting authors by end of January 2012.

GUEST EDITORS
Klaus Bredl - Email: (bredl /at/ phil.uni-augsburg.de)
Digital Media, Institute of Media and Educational Technology, Augsburg University

Julia Hünniger - Email: (julia.huenniger /at/ phil.uni-augsburg.de)
Digital Media, Institute of Media and Educational Technology, Augsburg University

Jakob Linaa Jensen - Email: (jakoblinaa /at/ gmail.com)
Department of Aesthetics and Communication - Information and Media Studies, Aarhus University
    cover

Read the entire Call for Papers – Special Issue on Methods for Analyzing Social Media – click here: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/cfp/wthscfp.pdf

______________________________________________________________________ _

RECENT CONTENTS

Understanding Nurse Perceptions of a Newly Implemented Electronic Medical Record System,
Bree Holtz and Sarah Krein

An Exploratory Study of Health Professionals' Attitudes about Robotic Telepresence Technology, Annica Kristoffersson, Silvia Coradeschi, Amy Loutfi, and Kerstin Severinson-Eklundh

Preliminary Validation of an Online DSM-Based Mental Health Referral Inventory,
Robert Epstein and Laura Muzzatti

Lessons Learned From Using Adobe Connect in the Social Work Classroom,
Amy Cappiccie and Patricia Desrosiers

Editor
Dick Schoech, PhD- University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, TX

Associate Editor- Software Application Reviews
Dale Fitch, PhD- University of Missouri, Columbia, MO

Volume Number: 30, 2012
Frequency: 4 issues per year
Print ISSN: 1522-8835, Online ISSN: 1522-8991