[ecrea] Symposium at Lincoln: Latin American Cinemas today

Tue Jan 10 18:59:48 GMT 2012

*/Latin American Cinemas Today: Reframing the National/***

* *

*Friday - Saturday 24-25 February 2012*
**

This Symposium takes the form of a 2 days series of discussions, and sets out to interrogate the relationships, dependencies and tensions between the transnational, national, regional and local in Hispanic cinemas. So far, the debates have on this topic have focused on the mechanisms of cultural production and reception for contemporary Latin American film, examining the structures and impact of transnational funding schemes, while also taking into account the value of funding and distribution opportunities offered by schemes established by European festivals.

At this event, we specifically ask:

- How do the mechanisms of transnational co-production and distribution affect the selection of stories that are told about Latin America?

- How, in turn, does that affect audience understanding of the development of individual nations and their cultures?

- How are we encouraged to ?imagine? the region? Should we even speak of a Latin American cinema?

- Does the neo-colonial gaze persist? Has it emerged in new forms?

- To what extent are we still unaware of the variety of films that are being produced in and about Latin America?

The event will conclude with a screening of a selection of films from the initiative established by the Festival of San Sebastián to support the development of Hispanic cinema: Cine en Construcción.

*Confirmed speakers and respondents are:*

Jeffrey Middents (American University, Washington DC)

Libia Villazana (ISA, University of London),

Sarah Barrow (University of Lincoln),

Stephanie Dennison (University of Leeds)

Deborah Shaw (University of Portsmouth)

Nuria Triana-Toribio (University of Manchester)

*Fee [includes event and all catering except Fri eve meal]: *

2 days, Full: £25; 2 days, PG: £15; Friday only [all]: £10; Saturday only [all]: £15

*For further details of schedule and to register, please contact Sarah Barrow: (sbarrow /at/ lincoln.ac.uk)*

Dr Sarah Barrow
Head of School
Lincoln School of Media
University of Lincoln