[ecrea] CFP: Re-Thinking Cinema and Television History

Wed Jan 04 14:54:05 GMT 2012

DEADLINE FOR ABSTRACTS: 1st FEBRUARY 2012

Re-Thinking Cinema and Television History: Texts and Contexts

 A Postgraduate Conference

Tuesday 3 April 2012, De Montfort University, Leicester, UK

KEYNOTE SPEAKERS:

Professor John Ellis (Royal Holloway University)

Author of Visible Fictions: Cinema, Television, Video (London: Routledge 1984), Seeing Things: Television in the Age of Uncertainty (London: I.B. Tauris 2000) and Documentary: Witness and Self-Revelation (London: Routledge 2011)

Dr Helen Wheatley (University of Warwick)

Author of Gothic Television (London: Routlesdge 2006), editor of Re-Viewing Television History: Critical Issues in Telelvision Historiography (London: I.B. Tauris 2007)

Film studies and television studies have frequently been characterised by a polarisation between theoretical approaches and historical/empirical approaches. This conference will question this perceived dichotomy and explore how elements of these two approaches can be productively combined.

Abstracts of 200-300 words are invited from postgraduate students in film studies and television studies, for twenty-minute papers interrogating film and/or TV history, and how we understand, research, and theorise these areas. We welcome specific case studies drawn from your own current research, as well as more theoretical or abstract reflections on the topics below.

Proposals are welcomed on, but not limited to, the following areas:

* Can texts be considered outside of their contexts, or can contexts be discussed without their texts?

* Are theoretical and historical approaches to film and television history mutually exclusive?

    * Our understanding of ‘history’: past, present and future

* The impact of the ‘digital revolution’ on film studies and television studies: impacts on texts; questions of production, distribution, exhibition and reception; questions of archiving

* Missing histories: acknowledging previously unexplored territories in film and television

* The representation of film history and television history on television and on film

    * The representation of history on television and film

    * The interrogation of the concepts ‘cinematic’ and ‘televisual’

    * The future of film studies and television studies

Please send your abstract for a twenty-minute paper (200-300 words), plus a biography of 100 words to (cath.postgrad /at/ gmail.com), by Wednesday 1 February 2012.

For further updates, see http://re-thinkingcinemaandtv.blogspot.com.

--
Cinema and Television History (CATH) Research Centre Postgraduates

Room 3.06J
School of Media and Communication
Clephan Building
De Montfort University