[ecrea] conference: Deliberation: values, processes, institutions; June 2012, Warsaw

Tue Jan 03 21:17:39 GMT 2012

The Centre for Deliberation at the Institute of Sociology, University of Warsaw has the pleasure to invite you to the international conference
entitled “Deliberation: values, processes, institutions”.

The conference will take place on the 4th-5th of June, 2012.

The aim of the conference is to create a forum for the exchange of ideas and to integrate knowledge from within and outside academia. We will
reflect on deliberation as a result of the interplay between civil society, public administration, social research and IT sector.

We welcome proposals for presentations that will bring into discussion the results of empirical studies and experiments and/or new approaches
to real life problems, innovative techniques and tools for deliberation online and offline.

The suggested streams of discussion are:
- Value systems and limits of deliberation
- Evaluation criteria and the quality of (mediated) public debate
- Experiment, social intervention and public sphere as we know it
- On the shape of support for deliberative participation: legal measures vs. bottom-up actions
- Online deliberation: IT opportunities and human barriers
- Innovations in democracy: what directions?

Abstract Deadline: 7th of April, 2012
Feedback on abstracts: 30th of April, 2012
Paper Deadline: 26th of September, 2012

Abstracts should be of 450-500 words. The review process will be supervised by the international scientific board. All accepted
presentation proposals will be published on the conference website.

An edited volume of selected full papers will be published in English by the University of Warsaw Press. The papers, which will elaborate on
conference presentations, should be of 7500 words.

The conference is free of charge for all participants, both presenters and discussants. The only requirement for participation is to register.
You can register by sending an email to: (cd2012 /at/ uw.edu.pl). To receive a registration form, please, visit a conference website:
http://cd.uw.edu.pl/.

The conference organisers may help with finding accommodation. The University of Warsaw is entitled to some discounts for its guests. Please, indicate that you need our support while registering.

With best regards,
the conference organisation team

Centre for Deliberation
Institute of Sociology