Archive for November 2012

[ecrea] Call for papers on "Communicating Emergencies"

Tue Nov 20 12:42:30 GMT 2012

Call for papers

Faculty of Communication Sciences University of Lugano - Switzerland -

James Madison Program Princeton University –USA-

On

Communicating State of Emergency: Constitution, Individual Liberty and Political Communication

Workshop conference

Lugano, Switzerland

March 7-9 2013

Scholars from Europe and the United States will gather to explore the political, legal and communication issues associated with various types of emergencies.
The objective is to explore issues involved with information dissemination and withholding during various types of emergencies to explore the modern challenges governments face in achieving public cooperation in protecting public health, safety and security from threats both natural and man-made.  We expect that examination of strategic responses  will raise questions concerning government transparency, veracity, and capacity to effectively disseminate information in an age of multiple information sources with competing messages.  While each type of emergency poses unique challenges, we expect that there are common themes among most types.  At the same time, we expect that different nations, influenced by their internal political and social cultures, may respond or prepare to respond the emergency challenges differently.  These differences can be instructive but may also pose complications when an emergency cannot be contained within a nation’s geographic boundaries.
Consequently, we expect participants to offer comparative perspectives that will provide the foundation for discussion that may in turn identify new theoretical frames for  grappling with these issues as well as new strategic considerations.
Papers will focus on these tentative topics:
• War and Terrorism;  Keynote speaker: Prof. Robert A. Pape, University of Chicago
• Threats to health; Keynote speaker: Prof. Leslie E. Gerwin, Pronceton University
• Natural disasters; Keynote speaker: Prof. Marc Landy, Boston College University
• Financial crisis; Keynote speaker: Professor Timothy L. Sellnow, University of Kentucky
• Crisis communication and Public control; Keynote speaker: Professor Benjamin A. Kleinerman, Michigan State University
The host location might invite a limited number of others colleagues and graduate students. In consideration of the relevance of the themes of the Workshop, we should invite also public administrators and journalists.

Abstracts (maximum 250 words), along with full contact information (title, name, affiliation, email) and a short biography (of between 50 and 100 words), should be submitted (toemergencies.com /at/ usi.ch)<mailto:(emergencies.com /at/ usi.ch)>  by January 7, 2013.
Accepted papers will be announced in the first week of February 2013.
For further information:
Prof. Maurizio Viroli

Andrea Ponzetta
LSM - Laboratory for Mediterranean Studies
(emergencies.com /at/ usi.ch)<mailto:(emergencies.com /at/ usi.ch)>
University of Lugano
v. Giuseppe Buffi 13
6904 Lugano,  Switzerland
tel. +41 (0)58 666 45 48