Archive for August 2012

[ecrea] New Journal: communication +1

Fri Aug 31 15:49:37 GMT 2012

/communication +1 /is pleased to present our inaugural issue: Futures of Communication <http://scholarworks.umass.edu/cpo/>.

As its name suggests, /communication +1/ seeks to move thinking about communication toward unexplored terrain whose outline can be discerned only by continuous communications about communication. Rather than letting specific forms of communication guide our research agenda, rather than focusing on so-called “contents” or “messages” that reduce communication as event or process to semiotic objects, we suggest that we take a step back to revisit the very concept formation, with which we have always and already begun and on the basis which the study of communication may hope to mark out its distinct field of inquiry. Active in this project is a certain projection, a point of view by which to think about communication without foretelling what is to be found in our exploration. We hope to open a space for those for whom communication is at the center of their work – suggesting new lines of inquiry and thematizing communication as constitutive of our social being.

We are pleased to present the inaugural issue. To the authors we extend our deep gratitude for their contributions: /David J. Gunkel/, /Benjamin J. Cline/, /Gerald Voorhees/, /Kevin Driscoll/, /Mark A. Martinez/, /Timo Kaerlein/, /and Sabine LeBel./

To the readers we extend our invitation for inputs and suggestions.

The following pages begin a conversation we hope will continue. And it is to those whom have spoken we shall turn.

To access this issue please visit scholarworks.umass.edu/cpo/ <http://scholarworks.umass.edu/cpo/>

/communication +1 /is an open access journal supported by University of Massachusetts Amherst Libraries and the Department of Communication.

*Editors:*?

Briankle G. Chang, University of Massachusetts Amherst

Zachary J. McDowell,?University of Massachusetts Amherst

*Advisory Board*?

Lawrence Grossberg, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill

Catherine Malabou, Kingston University, United Kingdom?

Greg Wise, Arizona State University?

Kuan-Hsin Chen, National Chiao Tung University, Taiwan?

David Gunkel, Northern Illinois University??

*About /communication +1/:*?

The aim of /communication +1/ is to promote new approaches to and open new horizons in the study of communication from an interdisciplinary perspective. We are particularly committed to promoting research that seeks to constitute new areas of inquiry and to explore new frontiers of theoretical activities linking the study of communication to both established and emerging research programs in the humanities, social sciences, and arts. Other than the commitment to rigorous scholarship, /communication +1/ sets no specific agenda. Its primary objective is to create is a space for thoughtful experiments and for communicating these experiments.

For more information about the project in general, as well as short pieces, lectures, and interviews, visit communicationplusone.org <http://communicationplusone.org/>.