Archive for June 2012

[ecrea] CALL FOR PAPERS: MECCSA 2013: 'SPACES & PLACES OF CULTURE'

Wed Jun 06 22:37:09 GMT 2012

CALL FOR PAPERS MECCSA 2013

Dear colleagues, below is a call for papers for the annual MeCCSA conference in January 2013, hosted by the University of Ulster. For the first time, MeCCSA is using an Open Conference System, which integrates each stage of the conference, from abstract submission through to registration and payment (using the EventBrite system.) For this you need to log in to the system (i.e. 'register' on it - this does not mean you are registered for the conference, just entered on the system). We hope that this system can be used for all future MeCCSA conferences.

CALL FOR PAPERS

MeCCSA CONFERENCE 2013:
University of Ulster
'Spaces and Places of Culture'

The next annual MeCCSA Conference, will be held from 9th to 11th January, 2013 at the University of Ulster, Magee campus in Derry/Londonderry, Northern Ireland. See http://www.arts.ulster.ac.uk/meccsa2013

The conference is being organized by the Centre for Media Research, in the School of Media, Film and Journalism at the University of Ulster and enjoys the unique advantage of participating in the UK City of Culture events, being organized in Derry/Londonderry throughout 2013.
For further information see: www.cityofculture2013.com

About MeCCSA

MeCCSA is the subject association for the field of media, communication and cultural studies in UK Higher Education. The field encompasses the study of audiovisual and print media including film and TV; journalism; radio; photography; creative writing; publishing; interactive media and the web. The field also includes media practice and practice research -- film and TV production, journalism practice, and the use of new, digital information technologies in the arts, entertainment, social media and gaming. We welcome presentations on our broad theme of 'spaces and places of culture'. And, as always, we welcome scholarly papers, presentations of practice, posters and panels across the full range of interests represented by MeCCSA and its networks, including:
.       Film and television studies and practice;
.       Radio studies and practice;
.       Cultural and media policy;
.       Representation, identity, ideology
.       Creativity and digital spaces;
.       The value and future of journalism;
.       Media Studies as a discipline;
.       Approaches to media pedagogy

Presentations are also invited for a special strand on children, young people and media, in conjunction with Cinemagic. See: www.cinemagic.org.uk/

Keynote speakers include (in alphabetical order)
.       Bruce Brown -- Media research and the REF
.       James Curran -- 'Mickey Mouse Squeaks Back'
.       Adriana de Souza e Silva -- digital and urban play spaces
.       Terry Eagleton -- culture, space and place, an overview
.       Beatriz Garcia -- Cities of Culture and communication
.       Roy Greenslade -- journalism post-Leveson
.       John Hill -- Stuart Hood Memorial Lecture: Radical TV drama
.       Shona McCarthy -- Derry~Londonderry as City of Culture
.       Phil Redmond -- film, television, region, culture
.       Homsong Shao -- information flow in China
.       Stephen Shaw -- digital designing
.       Claire Wardle -- citizen journalism
.       Richard Williams - Northern Ireland Screen policy
.       Brian Winston -- documentary film
Guest chairs include Pat Loughrey, former Head of BBC Nations and Regions, Warden of Goldsmiths College and Visiting Professor at the University of Ulster; Maggie Taggart, Arts and Education correspondent, BBC Northern Ireland.

Time and place

The 2013 conference will run from midday on 9 January until 5 pm on 11 January. Given that some people may need to travel to and from Derry on 8 January and 12 January, please find below a link to assist you with your travel arrangements.
www.arts.ulster.ac.uk/meccsa2013/travel.php
Some hotels are offering special conference rates to stay in the City during this longer period (other cultural events are planned for the evenings of 8 and 12 January).
www.arts.ulster.ac.uk/meccsa2013/accommodation.php

Instructions for Contributors

Abstracts of 250 words requested for:
 papers / panels / presentations of practice / posters
These items should be submitted for peer review using the MeCCSA Conference website by Monday 10 September 2012.
Proposers will be notified of proposal acceptance.
Submission of Papers: www.arts.ulster.ac.uk/mecsa2013/papers.php
OR
http://www.ocs.meccsa.org.uk/index.php/meccsa/meccsa2013/login

Panels
Full panel proposals should include a short description and rationale (200 words) along with abstracts for each of the papers (250 words each) and the name of the person chairing, contact details for all panelists and technical requirements.
Panelists should indicate if they are willing to be considered separately.

Practice
We are keen to support the presentation of media practice work, in particular when there is insufficient time to present full work during paper presentation. To this end we will allocate a presentation space for practice artefacts which include screenings, computer based work and multi-screen work (where possible). For practice please include specific technical requirements (e.g. duration, format) and an URL pointing to practice support material. All presentations must run on PowerPoint compatible with Windows 7. We cannot run Keynote or other alternatives. All film/video work must play on a commercial DVD player. We cannot run .AVI, .MOV or similar file types. To avoid disappointment we would ask all delegates to ensure their presentations/films are compatible with the above specifications.

Prizes
The Higher Education Academy Subject Centre (HEA) is supporting the conference and is offering a £500 prize and publication for the best paper analysing key issues impacting on media, communications and cultural studies in higher education. Submission details as for other papers but a full paper must be with HEA by 23 November 2012 Email: (john.mundy /at/ heacademy.ac.uk)

Posters: The academic poster is highly valued by MeCCSA as an indicator of current research and there will be an open space set aside for poster display. A prize of £100 will be awarded to the best poster judged the MeCCSA Executive Committee.

Contact email: (s.quinn /at/ ulster.ac.uk)

Máire Messenger Davies, PhD, FRSA, MBPsS,
Professor of Media Studies, Centre for Media Research,
School of Media, Film and Journalism
University of Ulster, Cromore Rd,
Coleraine BT52 1SA, Northern Ireland,UK
http://cmr.ulster.ac.uk
twitter:@mairemd
email: (m.messenger-davies /at/ ulster.ac.uk)
office telephone: +44(0)2870124069LATEST BOOK - 'Children, Media & Culture' http://www.openup.co.uk/children_media