Archive for February 2012

[ecrea] CFP Reminder: UBC Graduate Student Conference

Wed Feb 08 17:54:30 GMT 2012

This is mostly a reminder of the CFP for our event, however, please see it also as an invitation to attend the conference and just listen to the wonderful research coming from the creative minds of Graduate students. To register, please visit our website: http://blogs.ubc.ca/childlitconference2012/

*“Stranger in a Strange Land”:*

*Exploring Texts and Media for Young People across Cultures and Continents*

* *

*Call for Paper Proposals*

*DEADLINE: March 1, 2012*

A Peer Reviewed Graduate Student Conference on Children’s Literature and Cultural Texts

With keynote speakers* Dr. Elizabeth Marshall and Dr. Sarah Park*

* *

The University of British Columbia

*Saturday, April 28, 2012 (8:30am to 5:00pm)*

* *

This is a one-day conference showcasing graduate research that explores and questions any facet of children’s literature. You are invited to submit a paper proposal that contributes to and extends existing research in the area of children’s texts, which may include novels, film, picture books, and other culturally produced modes of children’s literature. We are particularly interested in research that draws upon the broadly interpreted themes of navigation, exploration, and narrative.

Topics may include, but are not limited to:

· The child or young adult as explorer/explored, navigator/navigated

· Displacement or unwilling transportation to foreign spaces

· Childhood and adolescent development

· Children, young adults, and cross-cultural exposure

· Multilingual or translated texts

· Navigating (or negotiating) identity, gender, race or religion as a child or young adult in an adult world

· Exploring place: the child as traveller/runaway/adventurer in a strange land

· Race and ethnicity in children’s and young adult texts

· Cultural, physical, psychological, ideological, or literary restrictions and barriers to exploration and imagination

· Childhood feelings of displacement or not fitting in

Papers on any children’s or young adult genres are welcome as are papers that discuss other children’s texts such as film, virtual texts, or graphic novels. The topics above are a guideline for the proposals we would like to see, but we are eager to receive and review paper proposals on any topic related to children’s and young adult texts.

Please send a 250 word abstract, the title of your paper, a 50-word biography, your name, your university affiliation, email address, and phone number to Robert Bittner at (ubc.conference2012 /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(GradConference2010 /at/ gmail.com)> by *March 1, 2012*. Please put “Conference Proposal” in the subject line of your email.

If you would like your paper to be considered for publication in the /Journal of Graduate Research in Young People’s Materials and Culture/, please send a complete and polished copy of your paper to the editors at (jgr.submission /at/ yahoo.ca) <mailto:(jgr.submissions /at/ yahoo.ca)> by *June 15, 2012*. Include the same information as your conference proposal, but attach the full text as well. All submissions to /JGR/ are peer reviewed.

The conference fee of $18 for students and presenters, and $35 for faculty and professionals, includes morning and afternoon refreshments and a catered lunch. Please visit our website for more information: http://blogs.ubc.ca/childlitconference2012/

Rob Bittner

American Library Assoc. Stonewall Book Awards Cttee

Vancouver Children's Literature Roundtable Steering Cttee
Co-Editor, Journal of Graduate Research in Young People's Materials and Culture
MA, University of BC; BA, Simon Fraser University