[ecrea] CFP: After Girl Power: What's Next?, 24-25 February, 2012

Mon Dec 05 23:34:02 GMT 2011

Call for Proposals:

"After Girl Power: What's Next?" Girls' Studies Conference
February 24-25, 2012
Berick Saul Humanities Research Centre
University of York
UK

Hosted by:
Centre for Women's Studies
http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/cws/

Contact: Dr. Melinda Luisa de Jesus
Visiting/Fulbright Scholar, Centre for Women's Studies
(mdejesus /at/ cca.edu)
(melinda.dejesus /at/ york.ac.uk)
Proposal deadline: January 10, 2012

Almost twenty years have passed since The Spice Girls popularized the
term "girl power". In this time period have the lives of girls around
the world changed for the better?

Since the mid-1990s Girls' Studies has rapidly developed into a
distinctive and important field within Women's Studies. Mary Celeste
Kearney and Marnina Gonick et al's recent assessments of the discipline
identify two major theoretical challenges Girls' Studies must confront
in the 21st century: 1) the impact of globalization and neo-liberalist
and post-feminist discourse on girls, girlhood and girl cultures; and 2)
the urgent need for more work by and about minority girls/girls of color.

Informed by these concerns, After Girl Power: What's Next ? will explore
the state of global girlhoods and the state of Girls' Studies itself as
an evolving discipline. We envision the conference as a way to raise
awareness about Girls' Studies and girls' issues in general, and as a
crucial space to bring together Girls' Studies scholars, students,
advocates for girls/youth, and local girls to encourage dialogue,
networking and joint projects.

We seek proposals for presentations and roundtables that emphasize
racial/ethnic diversity and collaborative work between girls and
researchers. Moreover, beyond a traditional research conference format
of panel presentations, we envision "After Girl Power" as encouraging
collaborative, creative presentations about girl cultures and concerns,
and girl-centric activism. We seek girl-centered performances, films,
and art, as well as roundtable and/or poster sessions highlighting the
work of schools and girls' organizations.

*Proposals should include a 250 word brief abstract or description
outlining the presentation, and should include the names and contact
info of all presenters. Please specify any digital media needs
(powerpoint, projector, etc) and we will do our best to accommodate. *

Conference keynote speakers include:
- Dr. Rozena Maart, Chair of Gender Studies, University of
Kwazulu-Natal, Durban, South Africa, and a Center for Women's Studies
alumna. Scholar/writer/activist Maart is the author of the award-winning
novels Rosa's District 6 and The Writing Circle.

Suggested topics include:

Fourth wave feminisms
Resistance and agency
Girlhood and history
Sex education and information access
Youth cultures
Girlhood and Media
Body image
Sexuality
Education
Relational aggression
Global sisterhoods
Commercialization of girlhood
Young adult literature and children's literature
Girls responding to popular culture
Girls and the arts
Girls and sports
Girls and digital media and social networking
Girls and politics
Girls and activism
Girls and religion and spirituality
Girls and gangs

More information will be forthcoming regarding conference registration
fees, housing, travel, program through the conference website:
http://aftergirlpower2012.tumblr.com/

Questions? Please contact Melinda de Jesus:(mdejesus /at/ cca.edu).

Updated: 5 December 2011

--

Dr. Melinda Luisa de Jesús
Associate Professor, Diversity Studies&   Critical Studies

Fulbright Scholar, 2011-2012
Centre for Women's Studies
University of York
YO10 5DD