[ecrea] University of Delaware: 10th Material Culture Symposium

Fri Oct 21 06:34:10 GMT 2011

Material Matters
Winterthur Museum, Garden&  Library
Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Center for Material Culture Studies at the University of Delaware
invites submissions for papers to be given at the Tenth Annual Material
Culture Symposium for Emerging Scholars.

Focus: Object-based research has the potential to expand and even
reinvent our understanding of culture and history. In honor of the
tenth anniversary of the MCSES, we seek a broad range of papers from
emerging material culture scholars. Whether exploring the latest
theories, viewing existing material through a new lens, or
reinterpreting standing historical conversations with an object-based
focus, proposed papers should exemplify the possibilities in material
culture research. In exploring these material matters, we hope to
promote an interdisciplinary discussion on the state of material
culture studies today.

Disciplines represented at past symposia include American studies,
anthropology, archaeology, consumer studies, English, gender studies,
history, museum studies and the histories of art, architecture, design
and technology.  We welcome proposals from graduate students,
postdoctoral scholars, and those just beginning their teaching or
professional careers.

Format: The symposium will consist of nine presentations divided into
three panels. Each presentation is limited to twenty minutes, and each
panel is followed by comments from established scholars in the field.
There will be two morning sessions and one afternoon session, with
breaks for discussion following each session and during lunch.
Participants will also have the opportunity to tour Winterthur's
unparalleled collection of early American decorative arts and to engage
in a roundtable discussion on Friday, April 13. Travel grants of up to
$300 will be available for presenters.

Submissions: The proposal should be no more than 300 words and should
clearly indicate the focus of your object-based research, the critical
approach you take toward that research, and the significance of your
research beyond the academy. While the audience for the symposium
consists mainly of university and college faculty and graduate
students, we encourage broader participation. In evaluating proposals,
we will give preference to those papers that keep a more diverse
audience in mind.

Send your proposal, with a current c.v. of no more than two pages, to
(emerging.scholars /at/ gmail.com).

Deadline: Proposals must be received by 5 p.m. on Wednesday, November
16, 2011. Speakers will be notified of the vetting committee's decision
in January 2012.

Confirmed speakers will be asked to provide symposium organizers with
digital images for use in publicity and are required to submit a final
draft of their papers by March 5, 2012.