[ecrea] Screenworks Call for Submissions

Tue Jul 19 07:00:34 GMT 2011

>Call for Submissions

We are seeking moving image work on film, video and new media platforms. We welcome work from doctoral students and post doctoral researchers, as well as those at the cutting edge of practice research both nationally and internationally. Following a hiatus, Screenworks has been relaunched online, under the new JMPScreenworks banner, under the editorship of Dr Charlotte Crofts (University of the West of England). Volumes 1 (2007) and 2 (2008) were published on DVD and distributed with The Journal of Media Practice. We are now seeking new submissions for our online publication, following the relaunch at the JMP Symposium in June 2011, aiming to make work available for the annual MeCCSA Conference in Jan 2012.

This volume of Screenworks will be an open call.

Guidelines for Contributors
Videos or documentation of other screen practice must be uploaded on Vimeo.com, even if they are available online elsewhere. If you do not already have an account, you will need to join, upload and, if necessary password protect your film using the privacy settings. You will then include the URL and the password on the Submission Form. Only if and when your work is accepted for publication will we make it available on the JMPScreenworks.com website, as an embedded Vimeo file. If your work takes any other form or you have a problem with uploading it to Vimeo, then please contact us to arrange an alternative review method.

Where submissions are documentation of interactive or installation work we encourage contributors to consider the problems of documentation as part of the research process. We want to showcase as many pieces of high quality screen media research as we can so approx. 30 minutes will probably be our maximum run time for each piece of work. We will consider extracting if the research case is made by the contributor.

The Supporting Research Statement
Statements of up to a 1500 words should outline Research Questions, Context, Methods, Outcomes and Impact using the Submission Form – although we also welcome the development of alternative ways of writing about practice which can identify new knowledge, research contexts and rigour – as long as they clearly identify the research in your submission.

There are many different kinds of screen media practice research. Our aim is to generate “new knowledge” in Communication, Media and Cultural Studies, Art and Design, Performing Arts and related fields. The purpose of the statement is not to “explain” the screenwork, but rather to offer a “route map” of the research process, as well as a means to provide evidence for the dissemination and wider impact of the practice.

The Peer Review Process
All work submitted to Screenworks undergoes rigourous peer review, based on initial editor screening and refereeing by at least two anonymous referees.

The submission process is that contributors should submit work via Vimeo and email the URL, plus a 1500-word supporting research statement that situates the work within a research context.

Both the statement and the work are then subject to open but anonymous peer review selected from the Screenworks editorial board representing scholar practitioners working across the field of screen media both in the UK and internationally. Reviewers will have the choice of recommending publication of both work and research statement, acceptance of work with minor rewrites of statement required, invitation to resubmit both in reworked form or of rejecting. In the case of selected work, the 500-word reviews will be published online at JMPScreenworks.com, alongside the screenwork itself and supporting research statement.

The aim is that through this process criteria for research will be generated by the community over a period of time – that we will use a dialogic model of criteria generation and research. The process of open reviewing is intended to promote an active, concrete dialogue within the community of screen media scholar practitioners as to how our research is constituted, defined and disseminated.

Submission Deadline
The deadline for consideration for Vol 3 is Friday Sep 30th 2011. Submissions should be emailed to Dr Charlotte Crofts at (screenworks /at/ jmpscreenworks.com), with "Screenworks Submission" in the subject line - with the 1500-word supporting research statement attached as a Word .doc, including a live URL to the screenwork itself on Vimeo, with password where necessary.

For the Submission Form please go to: http://www.jmpscreenworks.com/page/submissions