[ecrea] Looking After Europe - Rethinking theory, culture and politics in the ‘Asian century’

Thu Mar 24 10:06:59 GMT 2011

*Looking after Europe*

*Rethinking theory, culture and politics in the ‘Asian century’*

*Facts:* A seminar organised by the International Institute for Asian Studies (IIAS) together with the Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis (ASCA).

Amsterdam, Friday 27 May and Saturday 28 May 2011

Convenors: Jeroen de Kloet (Mediastudies, University of Amsterdam) and Yiu Fai Chow (Humanities Programme, Hong Kong Baptist University)

*Speakers*: Ien Ang, Rey Chow, Chris Goto-Jones, Ariel Heryanto, Koichi Iwabuchi, Jae Ho Kang, Jeroen de Kloet, Giselinde Kuipers, Kwai Cheung Lo, Andrea Riemenschnitter, Xu Zhiyuan

*Focus: *In recent years there has been much talk, both in popular as well as academic discourse, about the alleged rise of Asia. Whereas the 19th century is claimed to be the European century, and the 20th century as belonging to the U.S., the 21st century is often billed as the Asian century. Notwithstanding the dangers of such totalizing narratives, the alleged shifting geopolitical power balances do require critical theorizations that dare to walk the tightrope of building on “Western” theory while trying to avoid Eurocentrism. We hence take the title of the seminar as double edged. We aim to look after Europe, in the sense of being concerned with what Europe, and more in general, “Western theory,” has to offer in this conjuncture. We want to take care of Europe as, so we think, Europe is not well. We also aim to look after Europe, in the concomitant sense of looking at a world after Europe, and seek what trajectories outside of Europe are possible, desirable and feasible. How to look after Europe? This seminar aspires to think through possible tactics to look after Europe on three different levels, namely, in terms of theory, of cultural production and, finally, in terms of politics. The papers probe into connecting these three levels of inquiry, taking “Asia” as its point of reference.

*More details: *For the detailed programme, as well as to register yourself, please go to: http://iias.nl/events/looking-after-europe-rethinking-theory-culture-and-politics-asian-century