[ecrea] The City Onscreen ? Helsinki

Fri Jan 28 05:54:34 GMT 2011

The City Onscreen ­ Helsinki
Editors:
Pietari Kääpä (University of Nottingham Ningbo) and Silja Laine (University of Turku)

Project Synopsis
Intellectâ??s exciting new book series The City Onscreen will explore the relationship between the city and cinema by using a predominantly visual approach inspired by The Big Picture magazineâ??s â??On Locationâ?? feature. Thus, the book will be extensively illustrated throughout with evocative film stills and be complimented by short but insightful essays about themes, ideas and key historical periods. The readers of the book will be general film goers as well as those interested in travel, culture, architecture, design and the arts in general.

http://thebigpicturemagazine.com/

The city continues to play a central role in a multitude of films, helping us to frame our understanding of place and of the world around us. As the rise and proliferation of modern cities have coincided with the development of film as a cultural medium, a symbiotic relationship has emerged whereby itâ??s occasionally difficult to separate the real from the imagined. Cinematic representations of Helsinki range from depictions of a northern periphery ('the northernmost capital of Europe') to a space of cosmopolitanism, from a touristic destination to a substitute for Moscow/St. Petersburg during the Cold War. The city looks different depending on oneâ??s perspective, and our book illustrates this complexity by providing a visual collection of cinematic views of Helsinki. The collection emphasizes its role in identity and cultural politics throughout film history, and its very real role as the locus for negotiating Finlandâ??s globalization. These are some of the issues that have prompted the Film Location book series:

How is cinema helping to shape our view of the city?

What is the role of the city in film?

How can we engage with and better understand different culturally- and socially- situated views through the medium of film?

We are predominantly looking for contributions on the following:

Spotlight Articles

Explorations of key genres, directors, ideas or periods linked to Helsinki (800-1000 words each):

-       The Cold War and the Cinematic Helsinki
-       Aki Kaurismäkisinki
-       Touristic Helsinki
-       Generational Gaps
- Migration and the City (including country/city migration and immigration)
-       Class Identity and the City ­ Urban Comedy
-       Rakkautta ja Anarkiaa/DOC Point ­ Festival
-       Architecture in the Cinema

Other suggestions are also invited.

Reviews section
We invite short texts (200-250 words each) on carefully chosen film scenes. These involve key examples of film scenes that place emphasis on Helsinki as integral to story, character & cultural significance in the following films:

Valkoiset Ruusut
Kaivopuiston Kaunis Regina
SF-Paraati
Juurakon Hulda
Radio tekee murron
Asuuko Neiti Töölössä
Onnenpotku
Vaala-Joutseno films (Morsian Yllättää etc.)
Suomisen perhe films
Komisario Palmu films
Onnen peli
Mies, joka ei osannut sanoa ei
Spede films (Uuno Turhapuro etc.)
Gorky Park
Reds
The Million Dollar Brain
Dr. Zhivago
Aki Kaurismäki films (Calamari Union etc.)
Mika Kaurismäki films (Arvottomat etc.)
Täältä Tullaan Elämä
Nousukausi
Ruokala Lokki
Monte Rosso
Suden Vuosi
Musta Jää
Vieraalla Maalla

This is not a complete list and other films of importance will also be considered.

Please contact Silja Laine ((silaine /at/ utu.fi)) or Pietari Kääpä ((Pietari.Kaapa /at/ nottingham.edu.cn)) to discuss your contributions. The deadline for completed articles will be in late April 2011.