Archive for December 2011

[ecrea] Communication and Community: Bridging Disciplinary Divides - Pre- Conference at ICA

Tue Dec 13 20:45:09 GMT 2011

**

*Communication and Community: Bridging Disciplinary Divides*

*The Annual Urban Communication Foundation -Pre- Conference at ICA*

This seminar brings together scholars and professionals from multiple areas within the communication disciplines, and also from other related fields such architecture, design, and urban, planning, Our purpose is to explore and discuss theoretical perspectives, new and ongoing field research findings, as well as case studies aimed at enhancing our understanding of: (a) communication patterns in urban communities, (b) how these patterns are shaped by and shape the physical, built, and social environment of the places we live in, (c) how the communication ecologies we construct in the process of our everyday lives impact our well-being, and (d) the positive and negative ways in which policy interventions influence the communication environment of cities. In addition, this seminar offers an opportunity for researchers interested in urban communication to explore possibilities for collaboration that can lead to the development of research grants, new books and other publications, new courses, and conferences. Within the framework of the conference theme, "Communication and Community," the research papers and field projects selected for presentation and discussion will that bridge traditional disciplinary boundaries and seek to connect individuals and groups in community settings.

*/Procedures for submitting papers/*

Authors are asked to identify in their abstracts the topic of the short position paper, research report, or case study they wish to contribute to the seminar. All submissions will be reviewed and those selected will be asked to submit the complete paper prior to the conference. Papers will be made available through the Urban Communication Foundation's Web site, so that all seminar participants have the opportunity to read and reflect on them prior to attending the seminar. The final seminar schedule will also be made available through the UCF's Web site in early May 20112.

Abstracts should be submitted electronically by Dec. 15, 2011

Send to: Peter Haratonik, (haratonik /at/ urbancomm.org) <mailto:(haratonik /at/ urbancomm.org)>,

Notification of those accepted for presentation will be made by Feb. 1, 2012

Full papers will be due on May 4, 2010.

Number attending- 25-35

Registration fee: $50

Date and Location: Thurs, May 24, 9 AM-- 5 PM, Phoenix, Arizona

Sponsor: The Urban Communication Foundation

Gary Gumpert, President (Emeritus, CUNY)

Peter Haratonik, Executive Coordinator (The New School)

http://www.urbancomm.org/