Archive for November 2011

[ecrea] Antwerp Joint Sessions - paper proposals

Tue Nov 15 10:09:16 GMT 2011

Please find details below of the upcoming ECPR Joint Sessions Workshop on /Parties and Campaigning in the Digital Era/ that will be run by myself and Andrea Rommele at the Hertie School of Governance (Berlin).The joint sessions offer a unique opportunity for a 5 day workshop on a specific theme with up approximately 20 other researchers.

We would like to take this chance to encourage you and your research students to consider submitting a proposal for the workshop and are happy to discuss the objectives and content further with you, if you have an idea for a paper.

We look forward to a stimulating workshop in Antwerp. Please forward this message to others you think would be interested to submit a paper proposal.

Best regards,

Rachel

For further details of the workshop see

http://new.ecprnet.eu/Joint%20Sessions/2012_Antwerp/WorkshopDetails.aspx?WorkshopID=20

*
Abstract *

Elections worldwide have all seen parties launch social media initiatives to communicate with voters , many copying directly from 2008 efforts of Barack Obama and his mobilization and activist oriented ‘MyBO.com’ site. Beyond the surface-level similarities, however, to what extent are these developments and use of web 2.0 by political actors taking hold and promoting a new more devolved style of citizen-led forms of activism – modes that challenges the top-down model of the professionally managed campaign that has emerged in a wide range of national election contexts over the past three decades? Alternatively, are the new internet tools actually allowing central elites to more closely monitor, direct and coordinate local voluntary efforts? Perhaps they make little difference and simply reinforce existing practices? The question of the impact of digital tools for political organizations in terms of their internal organizational structures, relationships to members / supporters, and overall contents and style of their communication with voters are one’s that this workshop will address. More generally through drawing on comparative examples we will seek to provoke debate on whether we are witnessing a second wave of the ‘Americanization’ of campaign style? Or whether there is a more diverse and pluralized approach to social media campaigns worldwide?

Full list of workshops see:

http://new.ecprnet.eu/Joint%20Sessions/2012_Antwerp/Workshops.aspx - list of workshops

http://new.ecprnet.eu/Joint%20Sessions/2012_Antwerp/JointSessionsPaperProposal.aspx?EventID=6 – form to complete to submit a proposal