Archive for July 2011

[ecrea] Participations 8:1

Fri Jul 15 11:58:35 GMT 2011

See http://www.participations.org/index.htm

Dear colleagues

Much later than we intended, but through noone's fault, issue 8:1 of /Participations/ is launched today. It contains a pretty huge array of materials. Five essays in the Journal's general section consider: how responses to popular music soundtracks shape audience reactions to films; the emergence and characteristics of Twitter; writers of fan fiction for /Time Travelling/ as special audiences; and the special characteristics of 'shippers' among fans of /The West Wing/.

Alongside these, the Journal is pleased to carry a very particular and unusual Special Section which contains the outcomes of a project initiated by the Centre for Research into Social and Economic Change (CRESC) of the Open University and Manchester University. This is focused on the history and practices of audience research at the BBC's World Service. Seven essays plus a substantial introduction, including a number by people formerly involved in the Service, both give fascinating insights into this institution, and raise a host of important conceptual and methodological questions.

I hope you will take time to look at it, and if you have any comments, please do send them along.

Best wishes and have a good summer, everyone.

Martin Barker

Sue Turnbull

Joint Editors