Archive for May 2011

[ecrea] New book: Places of the Imagination

Tue May 24 13:55:01 GMT 2011

/ /*Places of the Imagination - **Media, Tourism, Culture
*

*Stijn Reijnders, Erasmus University Rotterdam, the Netherlands*

Recent years have seen an explosive growth in the phenomenon of people visiting locations from popular novels, films or television series. Places of the Imagination presents a timely and insightful analysis of this form of media tourism, exploring the question of how best to explain the increasing popularity of media tourism within contemporary culture. Drawing on extensive empirical and interview material, this book examines the representation of landscapes in popular narratives that have inspired media tourism, whilst also investigating the effects over time of such tourism on local landscapes, and the processes by which tourists appropriate the landscape, experiencing and accommodating them into their imagination.

Oriented around three central case studies of popular television detective shows, famous films and classic literature, Places of the Imagination develops a new theoretical understanding of media tourism. As such, it will appeal to sociologists and cultural geographers, as well as those working in the fields of media and cultural studies, popular and fan culture, tourism and the sociology of leisure.*
*

*Contents: *Foreword, Nick Couldry; Introduction. Theoretical Framework: Places of the imagination; Part I TV Detectives: The guilty landscape of the TV detective; Doing the TV detective tour. Part II James Bond: Media pilgrimages into the world of James Bond; On the track of 007. Part III Dracula: Stalking the Count; Conclusion; Appendix; Filmography; References; Index.*
*

*About the Author: *Stijn Reijnders is Associate Professor in Cultural Heritage, Erasmus University Rotterdam, the Netherlands. His research is funded by the Dutch Science Foundation.*
*

*Reviews: *'Stijn Reijnders has produced a lucid and engaging book with a fresh perspective. I had no idea the media (fictional literature, television, film) inspired so much tourism; now I have been introduced to some wonderful illustrations. Informed by a strong theoretical framework, employing the concept of lieux d'imagination, Reijnders nevertheless recognises the physical reality of places. I shall refer to this book in my teaching, using it as the key source for new lectures on media tourism.'
Karen O'Reilly, Loughborough University, UK

*To order, please visit: www.ashgate.com*