Archive for May 2011

[ecrea] Transgressions - call for abstracts

Tue May 03 14:41:15 GMT 2011

Academic Quarter - Journal of research from the humanities

Call for abstracts - extended deadline

Transgressions

As the boundaries between cultures and cultural practices become
increasingly more permeable, the need to study, explain and analyze such
phenomena only becomes greater. Transgressions and transgressive practices
have often been at the forefront of seeking out and pointing to the presence
of boundaries, whether we look at aesthetic practices, social conventions or
national borders.

On the one hand, then, transgressions move beyond boundaries and easy
categorization, usually in order to disrupt cultural order or question
cultural, social or national divisions. Conceptual blurring is thus a key
aspect of transgression.

On the other hand, by indicating that something is transgressive, we have
already established a boundary or line which has been crossed. In this
paradoxical way, as Bataille points out, the transgressive helps us reaffirm
cultural order by designating what is abject. Transgression thus helps us
define borders, making them clearer and more visible.

We invite papers that investigate this double movement of the transgressive,
while also leaving room for papers which engage critically with
transgressive practices of any kind.

We welcome all forms of cultural analysis, whether of a historical,
sociological, philosophical or aesthetic variety, although we do expect the
volume to have a focus on topics related to the 20th or 21st century. We
also expect contributions to be informed of current discussions of
transgressions and critical theories of the transgressive.

Suggestion for articles, including an abstract of 150 words to be mailed to
Steen Christiansen and Charlie Blake no later than May 20th.
Accepted articles - using the Harvard System Style Sheet - to be mailed to
the editors no later than August 1st. Articles will then be reviewed
anonymously. The articles should be around 15,000-25.000 keystrokes. The
issue will be published in the spring of 2012.

Academic Quarter has been approved according to the Danish bibliometrical
system for 2011 and forward.