Archive for February 2011

[ecrea] CFP: 'gnovis' -- Graduate Journal of Communication, Culture & Technology, Georgetown University

Tue Feb 08 16:12:14 GMT 2011

gnovis is the online, peer-reviewed graduate journal of Georgetown University's Communication, Culture & Technology program. gnovis is devoted to presenting interdisciplinary scholarship that reflects broad interests at the intersection of culture and technology. Our mission is to provide a forum for graduate students from around the globe to explore the relationships between technology, culture, media, and politics, and to share their original research.

Spring 2011 Call for Papers

We welcome submissions of original research from any discipline in the humanities and social sciences. Papers may address a full range of topics and historical periods. Topics may include, but are not limited to: art and propaganda, gender, race, ethnicity and identity, post-colonial and post-modern theory, nationalism and religion, performance art, photography and film, Web 2.0 and social media, mediated communication and digital representation, art and technology, politics and elections.

But don't delay -- the deadline is February 15th.

To be considered for our Spring 2011 Issue, papers must be submitted by Tuesday, February 15, 2010, and must adhere to the submission guidelines available below and at: <http://gnovisjournal.org/submit>http://gnovisjournal.org/submit.

Questions about submissions may be directed to Lauren Barnett, Assistant Editor-in-Chief, at <mailto:(gnovis.submit /at/ gmail.com)>gnovis<mailto:(gnovis.submit /at/ gmail.com)>.(submit /at/ gmail.com).

Submission Guidelines
· All submissions should be the FINAL version of the project, and should reflect graduate-level scholarly writing and research. Please do not submit projects in-process. These submissions will be rejected without review. Please ensure that papers reflect the most current research available at the time you submit. · Papers should be between 3000 and 7500 words (10-25 double-spaced pages), excluding citations. There are few exceptions to this rule. · gnovis accepts only MLA and APA style citations for all papers. Please ensure that your submissions are cited according to one of these style guides. · We encourage submissions from all scholars who are examining issues critically, to include students outside of Georgetown University, and independently practicing scholars.

How to Submit

Please submit articles via email to <mailto:(submit /at/ gnovisjournal.org)>(submit /at/ gnovisjournal.org), following the instructions below:

1. In the body of the email, include:
·       your name
·       your school affiliation, program name, and year
·       contact information, preferably an email address checked regularly

2. Attach your submission as a file in an editable format (i.e. Word, Pages) and remove all personally identifiable information including your name, school and program if applicable, and contact information.

The Review Process
When a paper is accepted for review, it is anonymized to protect the author's identity and then distributed to at least two peer reviewers. gnovis' peer reviewers are current students and alumni of the CCT program; they will read the project critically, paying close attention to both style and content and returned to the gnovis editorial team. If it meets gnovis' editorial standards, the project is then returned to the author for any necessary revisions. Once made, the project goes through a final check by the staff before being published in the next issue. Issues are published in the fall and spring of each year, with special themed issues possible throughout the year, depending on current events and submission topics.

Is my paper a good fit for gnovis?
The most important questions to ask as you consider submitting a project to gnovis are: Does it contribute new ideas to the field? and Will it provoke further research and conversation? To decide if your topic is appropriate, on the other hand, we recommend perusing our existing journal articles and blog postings.