[ecrea] Creative Suburbia: Cultural Research and Suburban Geographies Symposium l 29-30 September, 2010

Wed Sep 08 05:19:29 GMT 2010

>Creative Suburbia: Cultural Research and
>Suburban Geographies Symposium l 29-30 September, 2010
>To be held at Queensland University of
>Technology, Creative Industries Precinct, Kelvin Grove Campus, Brisbane
>

>----------
>

>In many parts of the world, we are seeing the
>rise of suburban nations. While much attention
>has been given to "creative cities" strategies
>that emphasise inner-urban areas, in countries
>such as Australia, the United States and Canada,
>it is the case that the majority of the
>population lives and works in major cities. The
>suburbs are increasingly complex demographic,
>social, economic and cultural sites and this
>symposium aims to contribute to public policy
>debates, and to foster new research connections
>around the broad and important area of suburban
>studies, as sites for innovative and applied
>cultural research. The Creative Suburbia
>Symposium will bring together researchers from
>cultural studies, communication and media
>studies, cultural geography, urban planning and
>cultural policy. It provides a space in which to
>share research and perspectives while exploring
>issues around understandings of suburbia and suburban life.
>

>Keynote Speakers
>Rob Shields, Henry Marshall Tory Research Chair
>and Professor of Sociology/Art and Design,
>University of Alberta, Edmonton Alberta Canada,
>and Founding Editor of Space and Culture;
>
>Louise Johnson, Associate Professor of Human
>Geography, School of History, Heritage and
>Society, Deakin University, and author of
>Cultural Capitals: Revaluing The Arts, Remaking Urban Spaces (Ashgate, 2009).
>

>Symposium Themes
>New suburbanisation: how suburbs have been
>changing since the 1990s, with the rise of
>Master Planned Communities, enhanced access to
>mortgages and consumer credit, and perceptins of
>the suburbs as the electoral battleground of Australian politics?;
>
>Cosmopolitan suburbs: the relationship between
>patterns of migration and suburban development,
>and the increasingly multicultural nature of Australian suburbs?;
>Cultural and creative spaces: how do those
>working in the cultural and creative industries
>operate in suburban locations, and what
>implications may this have for urban policy and cultural policy?;
>Suburban practices and representations: are
>there changes in how Australian suburbs are
>represented in popular media and elsewhere, and
>what is the significance of new suburban social
>movements such as green citizenship?;
>Creative workforce: where are creative
>industries workers located, and how does
>networking occur outside of the fabled
>inner-urban milieux of bars, cafes and nightclubs?;
>Chinese cities in transition: are these
>developments of relevance to the most populous
>nation on Earth  the fast growing and rapidly
>urbanising Peoples Republic of China?;
>Trends and issues in suburban demographics: what
>do we know about the relationship between where
> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885