[ecrea] new book on BBC, Al-Jazeera, CNN

Wed Sep 08 05:18:32 GMT 2010

>Title: News from the BBC, CNN, and Al-Jazeera:
>How the Three Broadcasters Cover the Middle East
>Author: Leon Barkho, Jönköping University
>(Sweden) publisher: Hampton Press The three
>gigantic media corporations, the BBC, CNN, and
>Al-Jazeera, are largely responsible for refining
>and shaping our views of events in the world.
>Their informational and communicative arm is
>unprecedented in the history of human
>communication. This book deals with their Middle
>East coverage, particularly the
>Israeli-Palestinian struggle and the war in
>Iraq. The picture it paints may not be a happy
>one for readers who have long taken the
>â¬Sneutrality⬝ and â¬Sobjectivity⬝ of the
>three media behemoths for granted. The book
>helps readers first to become conscious of how
>the more powerful in the society work to control
>our lives through their discourse. It shows how
>and why the three broadcasters do that. It might
>be shocking for some readers to realize that the
>language we read and listen to is what the three
>broadcasters select to shape the world their own
>way and not the way their observers
>(journalists) want it to be or we the audiences
>expect it to be. Contents: INTRODUCTION. The CDA
>Perspective of the Book. What is the Book About?
>The Target of the Book. Some Implications of the
>Bookâ¬"s CDA Perspective. THE SOCIAL AND
>LINGUISTIC REALITY OF NEWS. Which Journalistic
>Epistemology? Is it â¬STell it as it is,⬝ or
>â¬SIt is as You Tell it⬝ or Something Else?
>How to Integrate Social and Linguistic Reality.
>The Observer and Social Reality Creation. Is the
>Observerâ¬"s Role in Journalistic Reality
>Creation Vanishing? THE SOCIAL AND LINGUISTIC
>POWER OF NEWS. Analysis. Clausal Hegemony.
>Power. Hegemony. Ideology. Why Critical? THE
>DIALOGIC AND SYMBOLIC POWER OF NEWS DISCOURSE.
>Macro vs. Micro Discourse Levels. The Novel and
>Hard News. Investigating Role of Power in News
>Discourse. Power and â¬SSystems⬝. The Business
>Narrative Factor. Strategic Positioning and
>Discourse. LIMITATIONS OF CRITICAL DISCOURSE
>ANALYSIS. Issues to Solve. DATA AND METHOD.
>Visiting and Observing. The Researcherâ¬"s Role.
>Textual Material. Media as a Source. Interviews.
>THE SOCIAL CONSTRUCTION OF THE ALJAZEERA VERSUS
>THE BBC AND CNN. Social and Linguistic
>Construction of News. Method. Analysis. Issues
>of Style. What Does Al-Jazeera Say? Consequences
>of AJAâ¬"s Way of Reporting. BBC, CCN, AND
>AJAâ¬"S LINGUISTIC AND SOCIAL LINKS AT LEVELS
>HIGHER THAN LEXIS. Four Layers of Hard News
>Discourse: Quoting, Paraphrasing, Background and
>Comment. English Online News from the BBC, CNN,
>and AJE. Analysis. Social Implications. Research
>Implications. AL-JAZEERA ARABIC VERSUS THE BBC
>AND CNN: HOW DO THEY CONSTRUCT THEIR SOCIAL AND
>LINGUISTIC REALITIES? The Interface of Editorial
>Power and Political Power. Lexis and Power.
>Lexical Strategy. Symbolic Terms. Rival
>Discourses. Audience Identity. â¬SMacabre⬝
>Discourse. Reporting Verbs. Reporters as
> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885