[ecrea] cfp Panel: "Digital politics: Collective action born in and from the Internet"

Tue Aug 10 20:10:28 GMT 2010

>CALL FOR PAPERS ABSTRACTS
>Panel: "Digital politics: Collective action born in and from the Internet"
>Section Internet & Politics - ECPR General Conference in Reykjavik in 2011
>
>Deadline first round of call for papers abstracts: 30st August 2010
>Send papers proposal to: mayo.fuster(at)eui.eu
>
>Panel abstract: So far, political science research has focused on the
>use of the Internet by collective political actors that had their main
>operational base in the offline realm. First studies on the Internet
>and politics mainly concentrated mostly on well-established and
>traditional actors such public administration and political parties.
>Then the cope of research widened to include interest groups, NGOs and
>social movements looking at the impact of the Internet and the type of
>Internet use carried out by those groups. In particular, given the
>growing importance of political campaigns and other forms of
>collective action that are launched and carried out by networks of
>political actors, that mainly, if not completely operate and mobilize
>for their issues online, the debate on the Internet and politics could
>benefit further from considering actors who mainly operation with an
>online base. Interestingly, the emergence of collective action in
>online environments apparently follows new forms of "networked" forms
>of action and collaboration that are said to be different from
>political actors with a mainly offline base. The panel "Digital
>politics" aims to iniciate a discussion on the main organizational and
>democratic logic of the collective action born in and from the
>Internet addressing questions such as: What are the main
>characteristics of participation in online base collective action? How
>are boundaries drawn between the individual and the collective in such
>forms? How can we deal with the dialectics of individualization on one
>hand and the effects of de-personalization on the other hand that are
>inscribed in online spaces? How is the online space governed and how
>does its architecture structure online interaction? Finally, which
>methods are best suited to analyze the practices and dynamics of
>collective action online adequately?
>
>Co-chairs: Mayo Fuster Morell (European University Institute) and
>Johanna Niesyto (University of Siegen)
>Discussant: Sigrid Baringhorst (University of Siegen)
>
>About the co-chairs:
>
>Mayo Fuster Morell did a doctoral research on â¬SThe Governance of
>platforms of participation for the building of digital commons⬝
>supervised by Prof. Donatella della Porta at the European University
>Institute. She explores the democratic logic of the Internet in
>knowledge-making processes and the relationship between governance
>model and community growth. She compares World Social Forum, Flickr,
>Wikihow and Wikipedia governance models
>(http://www.onlinecreation.info). Last year she was visiting
> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885