Archive for April 2010

[ecrea] TaPRA New Technologies WG - CFP

Mon Apr 19 16:03:15 GMT 2010

TaPRA Conference 2010

6th Annual Conference 9-11 September 2009
Cardiff School of Creative & Cultural Industries
University of Glamorgan

CALL FOR PAPERS & CONTRIBUTIONS

Working Group on New Technologies for Theatre & Performance

THEME: Accessing New Technologies for Performance

For the 2010 TaPRA Conference from 9-11 September at the University of
Glamorgan, the New Technologies for the Theatre and Performance Working
Group invites papers and presentations exploring the theme "Accessing
New Technologies for Performance".

The digital age has brought an unprecedented plethora of new
presentation systems into the field of live performance. We are
calling for proposals on practice and/or theory based research that
consider issues surrounding the training of performance makers in
dealing with "new" technologies.

Following on from the interim TaPRA symposium organized by the New
Technologies for Theatre & Performance at the University of Sheffield on
the 8th of May, we would like to probe deeper into the following questions:

-       What precisely do we mean by new technology for theatre &
        performance in the 21st Century?

-       When performing with technologies do we inevitably become
        technology-led?

-       Does the inclusion of technology act to exclude women?

-       Do we need open our discrete discipline bound courses in order
        to allow more collaboration with the sciences in order to teach and/or
        do research more successfully?

-       Do we need more magicians in theatre schools?

We are also open to any other suggestion in relation to the selected
theme.

Please send a 250 word abstract/proposal, a short biographical
statement, and an outline of technical requirements by 30 April 2010 to
the working group conveners: Mary Oliver (
(M.Oliver /at/ salford.ac.uk) ), Toni
Sant (
(T.Sant /at/ hull.ac.uk)) and Carmen Szabo ( (C.Szabo /at/ sheffield.ac.uk) ).

Participants in the May 2010 symposium should send in a separate
proposal if they would like to continue engaging with the theme in more
depth at the September conference. This is an open invitation and seek
to broaden the debate on this theme beyond the May symposium.

Papers should take the form of 20 minute presentations followed by
discussion.

Practice or performance-based proposals are welcome, as long as they
engage thematically and rigorously with the working group theme, but
these must be achievable with limited resources and within 20-30
minutes.

The New Technologies working group welcomes participants who do not wish
to present a paper this year but would like to attend and contribute to
the discussions; please contact the conveners by email upon conference
registration to confirm your participation.

Further details about the TaPRA available at
http://www.tapra.org

 Dr Toni Sant
 Subject Group Leader – Interdisciplinary Studies

 School of Arts and New Media